Would you like to be part of a team working across software technology components used by hundreds of millions of users across multiple platforms and market segments globally?
Software Technology Manager [DevOps Oriented]
As a Software Technology Manager, you will be working with internal and external stakeholders to gather and prioritise requirements for software enablement and optimization, and to develop strategies to satisfy these requirements using internal resources and working within the Arm ecosystem and wider software communities.
As a part of this role, we are also seeking a proactive individual with experience and understanding of automation tooling, virtualisation, CI platforms and system administration. This is someone who can help our internal teams develop new DevOps infrastructure for Central Engineering’s Open Source Software group.
As a member of this group, which bridges across all of Arm’s technologies, you will be part of a team of Technology Managers who are addressing the growing demand for software in new Arm markets.
Job Purpose & Accountabilities
The Software Technology Manager targets strategic delivery of various software components and solutions across several segments, ranging from bespoke embedded devices to the enterprise space. Key to the role is an understanding of software development flow, development & testing infrastructure, and an ability to engage with key decision makers, both internally and externally. This includes the ability to highlight and leverage the advantages of the Arm software ecosystem, as well as being able to position it against the competition.
Key to this role, is a strong interest in and/or direct experience in DevOps techniques and the way these solutions should be enabled and developed:
- Software build and test solutions catering to different market segments such as Mobile, Server, IoT and Automotive
- Multi-site deployments, device farms, maintenance and performance optimisation of core systems
- Managing dependencies between internal & external stakeholders.
- Owning the implementation roadmap and driving the vision for enabling DevOps, Infrastructure and advancing Software Development capability across the whole of OSS.
- Proposing new software solutions and strategies to solve problems, fill gaps and add value to the systems created using Arm hardware.
- Work closely with Product Managers from various business groups within Arm; gather, clarify, break down requirements, address conflicts if any, and make the right priority call for engineering teams
- Performing competitive analysis and identify the strengths and weaknesses of various CI solutions
- Developing business cases for proposed features, articulating the value proposition.
- Evangelizing in the open source communities, enthusing customers with the software offering, and participation in customer meetings, sales meetings, and training.
A successful candidate will be flexible, with a variety of skills and a commitment to extend the breadth and depth of their knowledge.
Education & Qualifications
Good university degree (or equivalent), ideally in a numerate subject.
Essential Skills & Experience:
- Proven track record in delivering software (or software solutions) to customers in multiple segments. This would include an understanding of the elements comprising a typical software stack (from firmware and boot flow to OS and applications), and how it is created.
- Demonstrable experience with the creation and management of software requirements
- Experience with contemporary practices and processes for software development, testing, and delivery.
- Comfortable working across various time-zones with occasional travel in the future.
- Familiarity with open-source project development cycles and contribution processes, particularly around CI/CD infrastructure.
Desirable Skills & Experience:
- Experience in working with one or more open source communities along with with build & automated test tooling infrastructure, e.g. Jenkins, TravisCI, Buildbot, LAVA, Drone.
- Experience of virtualization and cloud technologies such as AWS, Docker, OpenStack and Kubernetes
- Version control and code review systems such as Git, Gerrit, Gitlab
- Knowledge of automation tools such as Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Foreman
- Monitoring, Metrics and results visualization tooling
- Some exposure to development with board build/test farms
- Web application development with Django or similar
- Prior experience in a continuous Integration/delivery or DevOps/Infrastructure position
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, colour, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.