We are looking for a hardworking and driven operating systems specialist to drive innovation in client computing.
Principal Operating Systems Architect (DTV/STB/Wearables)
In the Client Line of Business, the Technology Strategy team is dedicated to crafting the best possible mobile experiences. We work collaboratively across Arm technology groups, and with partners across the ecosystem, including operating system vendors (OSVs), silicon providers (SiPs) and OEMs, as well as middleware and content developers.
We seek an experienced Operating Systems Architect, who can:
- Identify and build links with key deeply technical staff at OS providers, understand the problems they face, and evolve mutually beneficial strategies.
- Collaborate with architects across Arm to define and align technologies to meet future market requirements.
- Provide thought leadership across the industry on the future of Client Operating Systems, servicing the world's most used devices and applications.
In this role, you will work hand in hand with business owners responsible for Arm's digital TV (DTV), set top box (STB), and wearable solutions. Candidates will typically have a strong record of delivering OS functionality, and may have lead initiatives as an architect or senior designer at an OEM, SiP, OSV, or content developer. You will lead and inspire colleagues with a deep understanding of how software and hardware work together in modern consumer devices.
What will I be accountable for?
- Align roadmaps with OS and other software vendors, ensuring Arm technologies are crafted to meet their needs.
- Drive teams to evaluate emerging and existing DTV, STB, and wearable use cases, distilling them to shape hardware and software requirements
- Clearly and effectively communicate with internal and external teams, lead architects, and senior management.
What skills, experience, and qualifications do I need?
Several, but not necessarily all, of the following:
- Broad knowledge of mobile operating system fundamentals, frameworks, and runtimes. Deep knowledge of DTV OS (e.g. Tizen, WebOS, AndroidTV, or Harmony OS) internals is helpful.
- Specific experience of OS frameworks and runtimes for protected content (DRM), multimedia, image quality, or Computer Vision.
- Experience with the OS kernels. Specific experience with OS schedulers, quality of service (QoS), or dynamic system partitioning techniques is helpful.
- A solid understanding of SoC architectures used in DTV/STB and/or rich Wearables.
- Outstanding analytical skills - we will persuade our partners through well-presented data.
- Superior communication skills - excellent at listening
- Bachelors (BS) or Masters (MS) in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering - although other degrees will be considered with relevant work experience.
- A minimum of 7 years expertise in relevant areas
Our Core Beliefs lie at the heart of Arm and represent the essence of our organization. When combined and working together, they articulate the uniqueness of Arm culture:
PASSION FOR PROGRESS
Innovation that enables our ecosystems, Arm and our people to thrive.
- Work with pace and judgment. Adapt to circumstances.
- Take risks in support of Arm's progress.
- Be accountable for the decisions you make. Learn from failure.
- Pursue innovation relentlessly.
WE, NOT I
Collaboration first, egos last.
- Start with long-term value to customers and partners, and work back from there.
- Collaborate, decide, commit, and bring people with you.
- Make the most of all the skills and knowledge across Arm; share information with those who need it.
- Care about the people around you.
BE YOUR BRILLIANT SELF
Skillful individuality, performance and fulfilment.
- Be authentic.
- Seek and embrace differences.
- Encourage curiosity and challenge.
- Give people trust and autonomy; show people they can trust you to do brilliant work in pursuit of Arm's goals.
Arm has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.
With offices around the world, Arm is a diverse organisation of dedicated, innovative and highly talented professionals. By enabling a vibrant, inclusive, meritocratic, and open workplace, where all our people can grow and succeed, we encourage our people to share their unique contributions to Arm's success in the global marketplace.