Meteor Inkjet Ltd is seeking a Physicist to for its world-wide industrial inkjet electronics and software business. This is a new position, created in response to sustained growth.
Meteor Inkjet Ltd is the world’s leading independent supplier of electronics, software, tools and services for industrial inkjet. The company’s products drive printers in a wide range of markets including graphics, packaging, textiles and product decoration. The Physicist will be a researcher with a strong physics background, responsible for directing and performing research into new inkjet-related technology, analysing potentially patentable innovations and managing intellectual property. The company releases several new products per year and the physicist will undertake technological research in areas including waveforms, acoustic analysis and vision systems where Meteor is poised to achieve innovative success. The successful candidate will enjoy working in a friendly, fast-paced, international environment made up of colleagues with can-do attitudes.
In addition to providing the opportunity to tangibly contribute to a dynamic and growing company, Meteor offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive package of benefits which includes a generous pension scheme, private health insurance and annual profit-sharing bonus.
The role will include:
- The translation of market needs into addressable research projects by scoping market requirements and producing plans for research projects generally of less than 18 months' duration, in 3-month phases, with 3-week task definition.
- Executing, or ensuring the execution of, research projects, working in a hands-on, safe manner either alone or within a small group.
- Providing technical advice and occasional design help to product development engineering teams wherever physics plays a role in the design (such as heat flow, fluid flow, and optics).
- Encouraging others to describe potentially patentable ideas, analysing which ideas have merit, helping colleagues to prepare filings and working with a patent agent to achieve patent progress.
- Generously providing help to colleagues which will usually bring opportunities for further interesting work in engineering, sales, marketing communications, debugging customer applications, quality investigations, and manufacturing.
The job is based at Meteor’s headquarters in Harston, near Cambridge. Legal entitlement to live and work in the UK is required, as is the ability to obtain visas for visiting EU, USA and China if needed.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
The candidate must have:
- A solid academic background including a 1st / 2.1 in physics, mathematics, science or engineering from a top ranked university with A* or A grades at physics and maths A levels.
- Excellent written and spoken English with the ability to write in a clear and unambiguous style.
The candidate should ideally also have:
- Strong experience in hands-on experimental design including working with instrumentation, microprocessors, control systems, or test-rigs.
- A broad range of skills covering both analogue and digital electronics, optics, physics, mechanics and software.
- Experience with Python, MATLAB, C++ or C# would be advantageous.
- Strong problem-solving, interpersonal and teamworking skills.
- Fastidious attention to detail.
- Background knowledge of inkjet technology.
- 3+ years in physics or a physics-based research role (for example, a PhD)