Want to join a small team of incredibly smart app/cloud developers working on the current "must have" accessory for dog owners? We’re PitPat and we’re looking for you.
Talented software developers
We make wearable activity trackers for dogs. No, we’re not barking mad. We’re developing the technology and consumer products that could help every dog owner (9 million in the UK alone) keep their dog healthier. It’s big business, and we’re the UK’s clear leader in this growing space, with thousands of dog owners already using our innovative devices, friendly app and sophisticated cloud services every day. And boy do they love us!
Based in central Cambridge (near the station), our team of around ten software and hardware engineers creates almost all of our technology in-house. It’s not easy. In fact it’s really hard, But we’re smart, we work fast and we have fun. And now we’re looking for new people who’d like to join us and do the same.
Here’s what we OFFER
- The chance to use today’s most relevant and exciting technologies to build new software that gets released to real users (dog owners!) as often as every two weeks.
- An incredibly supportive and friendly team that believes in listening to everyone’s ideas and helping everyone to do their very best job.
- The opportunity to kick start or grow your career through our commitment to on-the-job training and our regular “hack Friday” sessions.
- Fully-flexible working based either from our easy-to-get-to office (bring your dog if you like) or from your home, or both. As long as you’re in the UK, you could work with us.
- The chance to be part of a successful tech start-up, and to see from the inside what makes a fast-growing business like ours succeed.
- A fun and sociable culture with lunchtime BBQs in our garden and regular out-of-hours events.
And here’s what we NEED
- People who get stuff done. We can’t overstate this. We ship working software to real users in a fast-moving market that works in dog years (that’s 7x faster)!
- Attention to quality. We can’t overstate this either. Every bug we ship damages our reputation, and every bit of code that’s hard to modify costs us time and money.
- Technical virtuosity. We’re small, so we have to be smart. We need software “artists” with a genuine passion for creating clean, fast software that really “sings”.
- Commercial and user nous. Sorry, it’s not enough to be a technical wizard. You also need to understand why we’re doing it, and appreciate what makes our users tick.
- Independence and teamwork. Yes, both. We need people who can work unsupervised by themselves on one day, and as a part of the pack the next.
- Clear thinking under uncertainty. We live in a complex world and we don’t always have all the data. We need people who can fill in the gaps and imagine the whole picture.
- A “can do” approach to life. If something looks hard – impossible even – we still try to find a way to do it, or something very like it. See also “get stuff done” above.
Our TECH STACK
- We develop interactive mobile apps on iOS and Android in C# using Xamarin.
- Our back-end cloud services are built using the latest .NET stack and live in Microsoft Azure.
- Fully-automated testing and build pipeline development are carried out by our QA and DevOps functions so that developers can focus on developing great code.
- We’re continually looking for new and better ways to put our dev team in charge of how we develop our code in the most productive and robust ways.
We have vacancies at two levels:
Junior-level : You might be a new graduate, a school leaver or an entirely self-taught developer. This might be your first job, but you’ll still need to demonstrate that you know something about our tech stack, that you can learn fast from our more experienced team members, and that you’ve got the other skills we need.
Mid-level : You may be a graduate or you could be self-taught. This might be your second or third job and you’ve probably got between three and eight years solid experience in professional software development. We’ll want you to bring specific experience with our tech stack, and to demonstrate a really solid track record in the other skills we need.
How to apply
We’d love to talk to you, and there will be lots of people wanting to talk to us. But we can’t talk to everyone. For the best chance, we’d like you to send TWO things to email@example.com:
- Your CV.
- A detailed email explaining clearly how your specific previous experiences demonstrate that you would fit into our team according to the “What we NEED” section above. This could be in a non-work context if this would be your first job.
In return, we promise to reply letting you know whether we’d like to take the conversation further. And if we do, and you have a dog, don’t forget to ask us for a PitPat with our compliments. :-)