Owlstone is looking for a project manager to work on product development projects for our breath research platform. In this role, you will work with our multi-disciplinary teams of chemists, engineers, clinical scientists and data analysts to lead and manage the development of an advanced platform for the analysis of breath samples, from concept through to production.
Project Manager (RPS)
We need an innovative, experienced and delivery focused individual with the drive and enthusiasm to push forward relentlessly in a fast paced and challenging environment.
Reporting to the PMO Manager, this is a key position of responsibility and your success in this role will be central to the success of the company.
Key Tasks & Accountabilities
Working closely with the Senior User and Programme Manager, you will be expected to manage the full life cycle of the product development project, including:
- Start Up – identify the customer/user and their requirements, work with a multidisciplinary team to develop initial concept solutions and produce a project brief.
- Initiation – develop requirements and concepts, produce plans for the project schedule, resources, communication, risk and quality and develop a robust business case to form the foundation of the project.
- Execution – choose the right delivery methodology for the project and manage a team to “get things done”. Understand the value and process behind product verification and validation and ensure the product has a robust technical file suitable for evidencing compliance.
- Monitoring & Control – use a range of techniques and reporting to ensure schedule, budgets, risk, quality, scope, changes etc are under control.
- Closure – complete the documentation, learn the lessons, deliver the outputs, put effective post market controls in place and work to ensure that the company realises the benefits of undertaking the development.
In addition to this, you will also be expected to play an active role in the success of the PMO. This could include acting as project assurance for other projects, running or contributing to the programme of development seminars and deputising for more senior staff as required.
The following competences form the core strength of the PMO. You will have a detailed knowledge of, and be able to demonstrate some experience in, applying these competences, primarily in intermediate or complex situations, and can critically evaluate and adapt them as required. You will be able to supervise others in applying the competences:
- Leadership & professionalism - the ability to empower and inspire others to deliver successful projects and to act in a morally, legally and socially appropriate manner.
- Team management - the ability to select, motivate, develop and manage teams to achieve specified objectives and to resolve differences and conflicts between them.
- Stakeholder management - the ability to identify and effectively engage with all stakeholders, taking account of their levels of influence and particular interests.
- Planning - the ability to consolidate and document the fundamental components of a project and then prepare and maintain schedules for project activities and events.
- Financial management - the ability to develop and agree budgets for projects, and to control forecast and actual costs demonstrating strong commercial awareness.
- Quality management – the ability to ensure that the project outputs and processes through which they are delivered are meeting stakeholder requirements.
- Requirements management – the ability to capture, assess and justify stakeholders’ wants and needs to arrive at an agreed schedule of requirements.
- Risk & issue management – the ability to identify risks (threats and opportunities) and issues, assess them and plan and implement appropriate responses.
- Benefits realisation - the ability to manage the integration of the outputs of the project into business-as-usual in order to realise the business benefits.
- Governance - the ability to establish and maintain structures that define clear roles, responsibilities and accountabilities for governance and delivery of the project.
- Experience - you will have experience in a similar project related role developing technology products, preferably with experience in the development and realisation of analytical GC-MS methods or similar
- Knowledge – you will have a knowledge of the NPD / NPI process and the regulatory environment surrounding new product introduction
- Education – you will be educated to degree level (or equivalent), ideally in a technical or scientific subject
- Communication – you will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be comfortable supervising others and delivering effective presentations.
- Information Technology – you will be competent using a range of IT systems at an advanced level, e.g. MS Office and Project, Atlassian JIRA and Confluence, etc.
- Experience of working within an ISO 9001 Quality Management System
- A formal Project Management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2, APM PFQ, PMI, etc)
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about the metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list.