Owlstone Medical’s mission is to change the way we currently diagnose and monitor serious disease; our vision is to become the global leader in the non-invasive detection of cancer, infectious disease and inflammatory disease. With several major projects underway to develop disease screening and diagnosis based on detection of metabolic products in breath and with our defence and security business growing, we are now looking for Physicists and Engineers to help us develop our new products.
Embedded Software Engineer
As an Engineer at Owlstone you will play a key role in developing detection and diagnosis systems based on our core technologies for both our medical and our defence and security products. You will be tasked with developing and maintaining embedded software for Owlstone FAIMS devices. The role involves working with the full software development lifecycle and implementing software in C/C++ and Python as well as supporting technologies. You will work as part of a software development team and with engineers from related disciplines such as electronics and systems engineers. The development work requires a hands-on approach including deploying software onto machines.
KEY TASKS / ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Design, implementation, and maintenance of C/C++ based software for embedded targets.
- Development and maintenance of Python software for control and data processing applications running on Linux and Windows platforms.
- Development and maintenance of Embedded Linux distributions for custom hardware with Yocto.
- Contribution to improve and maintain CI/CD pipelines for all the embedded software we develop.
- Ability to design, develop, test, and debug software.
- Development experience in C, C++ and/or object-oriented Python.
- Capability to cooperate closely in a diverse team, striving to fulfil common goals.
- Experience of version control systems, particularly Git.
- Experience of working in an agile environment and using modern best practices in software development (e.g. test-driven development, continuous integration, code reviews, unit test frameworks).
- Ability to follow software life-cycle processes & communicate progress to non-software colleagues.
- The ability to produce clear, well-documented, maintainable code.
- Great communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Experience of developing embedded software on Linux.
- Experience of building Linux distributions for custom hardware with Yocto.
- Fluent in C++.
- Experience of developing firmware for Cortex-M processors.
- Experience of building Linux distributions with Yocto / OpenEmbedded.
- Experience of developing Linux and firmware drivers for interfacing digital electronic components.
- Knowledge of software architecture and design patterns.
- Experience in software for products (e.g. fault tolerance, end of line test).
- Experience of working within quality control systems such as ISO 9001 and ISO 13485
EDUCATION & TRAINING
- Degree in computer science or related engineering discipline
EXPERIENCE / KNOWLEDGE
- Knowledge of software development in python and C/C++
- Experience of software life-cycle
- Experience of low-level drivers and interfacing software to micro-controller peripherals
- Experience of working with real time software systems
- Experience of working to develop physical electronic products
- Ability to converse with non-software engineers about software related items
- A structured approach to problem solving
- Ability to understand hardware schematics and to work with electronic assemblies
- Unit, integration, system, regression and other testing methodologies
- Development of maintainable and testable software work products
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
We do not accept applications from agencies outside of our preferred supplier list.