We have an opportunity for an Associate Legal Counsel to join our Legal and Governance team in a permanent position.
This is a full time role, however we will consider applications from part time applicants equally.
About the role:
You'll support operations of the Institute, working directly with scientific staff on national and international research collaboration agreements, materials transfer agreements and consortium agreements.
What you'll do:
- Provide legal advice on a wide range of research agreements in compliance with Institute policy and obligations to third parties, including our funders. Draft and negotiate these agreements and support the internal teams to finalise these.
- Provide legal support as needed to other functional teams within the Institute (e.g. Finance, IT, Procurement, Facilities Management).
- Help develop intranet resources to inform and train internal clients on standard legal processes and agreements.
- Support our data protection programme, including reviewing and advising on documents including records of processing activity and data protection impact assessments.
- Qualified as a UK solicitor, or equivalent in other jurisdictions (2+ years PQE)
- Experience in drafting and negotiating contracts
- Experience of applying legal expertise to business problems in a complex and dynamic setting
- Enthusiasm for the Institute’s charitable mission in scientific research
- Demonstrable ability to give advice that strikes an appropriate balance between risk and benefit and takes account of legal and commercial considerations
- Strong communicator with effective project and time management skills
- Demonstrable ability to present ideas articulately and to effectively convey legal concepts to non-lawyers
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people (from scientists and academics to finance and operational professionals)
- “Can-do” attitude focused on looking for solutions
- Positive, open-minded with a flexible approach
- Good understanding of charity sector
- Exposure to scientific research and academic and/or pharma/biotech environments
We appreciate the importance of achieving a healthy work-life balance and support this with a number of benefits, including a flexible working policy for anyone who may wish to apply to amend their working pattern and a hybrid working pattern with some remote working.
We welcome applications for full time, part time, or flexible working.
Closing date: 8th July 2021