Cyted is seeking a Biomedical Scientist (BMS) to join our amazing team. The BMS will play an important role within the Pathognomics laboratory. The role holder will report to a Senior Biomedical Scientist. The BMS will participate in all aspects of providing a histopathology service including specialist analytical testing on a range of biological samples. They will give test results to medical staff who use the information to diagnose and treat the patient's illness. The role holder will be responsible for processing patient samples in good time and will ensure that service standards for reporting results are achieved. The BMS will be expected to prioritise their own workload and work with the MLAs in their team to meet the service delivery standards of the laboratory. They will perform urgent analytical testing as required. The role holder will be expected to maintain the highest standards of laboratory practice in line with HCPC and ISO 15189 policies.
- Undertake the technical work required for the clinical and research service
- Clinical specimen preparation and dissection (cut up) under guidelines laid down by The Royal College of Pathologists
- Using histological knowledge to prioritise specimens received in the laboratory
- Participate in an out of hours technical service for urgent biopsy specimens
- Specialist skills in one or more of Immunocytochemistry, Frozen Sectioning, Automated Histopathological procedures and Clinical Specimen preparation
- Embedding processed tissue samples in paraffin wax ensuring correct orientation of the tissue at an appropriate work rate as defined in the relevant SOP
- Produce tissue sections using a microtome ensuring that the tissue is adequately and representatively sampled at an appropriate rate as defined in the relevant SOP
- Perform special staining techniques on tissue sections assessing the accuracy and quality before issuing to a pathologist
- To be proficient in the use of all instruments in the laboratory and able to carry out routine maintenance and trouble-shoot if necessary
- Participate in all External Quality Assessment schemes
- Entry of confidential patient data on LIMS and pathological reports and communication to Clinicians
- Comply with company policies and procedures in relation to confidentiality, health and safety, COSHH, infection control, and all local safety rules regarding fire, chemical, radioisotope and gene manipulation hazards
- Meets the standards for the handling of clinical specimens in accordance with ISO 15189 2012
- Ensure that the daily activities of the laboratory comply with the Human Tissue Act
- Ensure that appropriate quality control is carried out for all techniques undertaken, and that sensitive information is secure, accurate and correctly backed up
Continuing Professional Development
- Undertake Continuing Professional Development required by the Health Care Professions Council
Working pattern, location and salary:
The role is a full-time position with a standard 37.5 hour working week. The role holder may be required to work flexibly.
The Biomedical Scientist will be based at our laboratory in Huntingdon. They may need to visit other company sites when and if required.
Salary in the range of £28,000 to £38,000 per annum depending on skills and experience.
- 25 days holiday per holiday year, excluding public holidays
- Pension scheme
- A knowledgeable, high-achieving, experienced and fun team
- The chance to be part of a growing start-up, the next leader in building integrated diagnostics by combining molecular biomarkers with digital solutions
- Perks at work scheme
- Free refreshments
Qualifications and background:
- BSc or equivalent in a biological discipline
- Registration as a Biomedical Scientist with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Practical experience working in a pathology laboratory
- Experience in cytological /histopathology techniques (desirable)
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Laboratory bench skills
- Ability to maintain good laboratory records
- Ability to organise and prioritise own workload and that of others.
- Computer literacy, including word processing, spreadsheet and database management
- Knowledge of histopathology involving an understanding of relevant theory and/or principles of laboratory processes
- Understanding of Health and Safety Regulations, human tissue governance and how to apply them in the laboratory environment
- Excellent communication skills