Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer
Chief Devices Officer
£ competitive salary | flexible working |25 days annual leave | 5% company pension | private medical insurance | life assurance cover | blended home and office working | employee assistance programme | paid volunteer leave | regular social and wellbeing events and much more|
We are looking for an experienced Chief Devices Officer to join our dynamic team. The CDO will own geo’s field-devices function, including hardware, firmware, system test and field performance, and is responsible for the development and management of geo’s global device development programme. If you have a proven track record of line management in a technical, connected-device focused environment and extensive experience of team-working at a senior level, please apply now
*Please note this role is currently 100% remote until coronavirus restrictions ease.
geo aims to create a sustainable future where every household can manage its overall consumption and carbon footprint, without even having to think about it. In addition to providing management systems and data analysis for solar, EV and home heating, the company is the leading supplier of in-home displays to the UK Smart Metering programme and has deployed +6 million units to date. A recipient of the Queen’s Award for Innovation, geo combines its smart energy displays, control and automation capabilities with leading edge data science, AI, cloud, firmware, UX, UI and customer insight to create complete carbon management systems.
One of three new roles reporting directly to the CEO and created to fuel the success of geo’s next generation Whole Home Optimisation systems, the CDO, owns geo’s field-devices function, including hardware, firmware, system test and field performance, and is responsible for the development and management of geo’s global device development programme. The scope of the role includes:
- Assessing the current state of geo’s hardware and firmware development and support capabilities as part of geo’s mission to deploy more than 10m cloud-connected devices, controlling more than 30m edge appliances, over the next 5 years
- Reviewing, and revising as appropriate, the company’s device architecture and strategy, including defining and driving system test and defect resolution initiatives
- Setting strategic priorities for the devices function and identifying new business opportunities that could be served by the device portfolio
- Collaborating with the C-suite to understand geo’s required devices roadmap
- Working with geo’s commercial, product management and development functions to understand the business needs of those functions as they relate to devices; and
- Proposing and developing short-, medium- and long-term device, firmware, test and defect resolution architecture and associated capabilities to meet those needs; and
- Creating and executing a device development roadmap based on that architecture
- Working closely with the Chief Analytics Officer to ensure geo develops and maintains:
- an optimal architecture to support device-to-cloud connectivity and services
- state-of-the-art system test capability and coverage for home-to-cloud testing
- Line management of UK and near-shore development team members; and
- Setting and maintaining methodologies, tools and quality standards for these teams
This is a broad technical management role responsible for line management, architecture development, technical strategy, and, working with project management and customer engineering teams, the timely and high-quality development and maintenance of geo’s device and device support capabilities.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record of line management in a technical, connected-device focused environment and extensive experience of team-working at a senior level. They will have a broad device and device connectivity development and field support background and be able to contribute to a synergistic development process and roadmap.
The candidate will be able to evidence successful operation of agile development, employing state of the art tools and methodologies, and will be able to provide examples of the following:
- Clear understanding of IoT technologies, in particular 15.4, 802.11, Zigbee and the IP suite
- Ability to operate effectively at C-level and experience of running teams of 10+ developers
- A strong focus on building robust products and shipping quality software
- Successful firmware and hardware development for consumer-market connected devices
- Estimating the effort required to design and build new device capabilities and features
- Engaging with the wider business on technical progress and managing the information interface with non-technical teams to allow core technical decisions to be made
- Working effectively with technical and non-technical peers to solve business problems
To apply for this position please email your CV and Cover Letter together with your salary expectations and availability to our HR team.