geo is changing the way the world uses energy. Our solutions have already saved homes in the UK, Netherlands and Nordics more than 30 terawatt hours of energy. Today, we have more than 6 million smart energy devices deployed in homes and we supply managed energy data services to more than half a million homes across Europe. We’ve used those capabilities plus our deep learning algorithms and data analytics to halve household energy consumption and slash carbon emissions. In 2022, we’re taking those capabilities to the next level, with a mission to save more than 20 million tonnes of CO2 and more than £3Bn of net savings for UK homes over the next 5 years.
Our capabilities and developments range from the hardware and firmware that powers the devices to the algorithms that power the insights we deliver via those devices, through to sophisticated control systems that predict and manage EV charging, energy storage, home energy generation and even household white goods. Underpinning this is our expertise in smart energy monitoring, load disaggregation, anomaly detection, heating control systems, load prediction and optimisation.
We are looking for a DevOps Engineer to join our 80-strong company and to be part of a uniquely-talented team of developers and data scientists delivering that mission.
You will take a lead and hands-on role in building and maintaining the deployment and development processes using best-in-class tools. The role is part of the cloud team, which is responsible for developing the platform which hosts all of geo's modern internet connected devices. You will be using the AWS infrastructure and services to manage our fleet of servers and microservices.
We work in an agile manner, so you will be planning your work into the team's sprints to ensure that the product and platform deliverables are met. Organisation and communication are as important to us a technical ability.
You will be expected to be self-motivated and will mix requirements from the business with exploratory tasks, with the aim to continually improve the cloud platform. As part of this role, you will:
- Manage automated cloud deployments.
- Monitor, investigate and tune performance.
- Aid the development team to build, deploy, monitor and test microservices.
- Ensure best-practice cloud security measures are maintained.
- Drive change through improving process and tools.
- Author internal documentation, such as environment diagrams, installation and configuration documents and release notes.
- Perform cloud server upgrades and security patches as necessary.
- Liaise between the Engineering and IT teams.
- Good knowledge of AWS platform, especially Elastic Beanstalk, EC2, CloudFront, Lambda, Kubernetes, Elastic Load Balancer, S3, Cloud Formation, Route 53, RDS and Security Groups.
- Good knowledge of cloud logging tools, especially the ELK stack.
- Good knowledge of cloud monitoring tools, especially Prometheus, Alertmanager, Grafana.
- Thorough knowledge of Linux administration.
- Deployment script automation.
- Good understanding of the software development cycle, ideally supporting an agile development process.
- Use of Git or other version control tools.
- Use of Continuous Integration tools, especially Jenkins.
- Management of an in-production cloud platform.
- Desirable knowledge of DynamoDB, Cassandra, Redis, Kafka, Redshift.
- Desirable knowledge of Java, Spring, Python to contribute to development of cloud microservices and tools.