Cyted is seeking an exceptional Director of Laboratory Services to join our amazing team. The Director of Laboratory Services is responsible for the strategic, administrative and managerial organisation of the Laboratory Services division of Cyted. The Director of Laboratory Services plays a key role in planning, organising and directing the delivery of our histopathology diagnostic services.
The Director of Laboratory Services will use their experience to establish policies, procedures standards, and objectives for the division. They will supervise personnel and managing all functions including testing, compliance with standards and regulations as well as quality system control practises and maintenance of equipment. They will have oversight of budgetary matters related to the division including planning of stock management, equipment purchase, and recruitment requirements.
Working in a fast paced, high growth, start-up environment they will use their outstanding communication skills, line management experience and pragmatic approach to drive the laboratory service provision in line with company goals.
The Director of Laboratory Services will manage the laboratory team and foster a unified culture promoting collaboration, cooperation, sharing of information and mutual teamwork. They will collaborate with relevant senior team leaders within the company to ensure efficient expansion of our laboratory services in line with the Cyted’s strategic growth plan.
- Lead and direct the development and implementation of effective processes in the laboratory services division.
- Plan, develop, organise, implement, direct and evaluate our laboratory operations and performance.
- Responsible for the overall operation and administration of laboratory services.
- Establish and maintain lines of communication with internal and external stakeholders in order to ensure a timely response to new clinical service trends and program planning.
- Establish and maintain quality control and quality assurance programs to ensure the quality of laboratory services provided and to identify potential failures in quality as they occur.
- Establish operations standards for cost control, waste reduction, quality, safety, and complete on-time delivery.
- Oversee the development of the division’s plans and programs in evaluation of long-range planning and regulatory action on operational performance.
- Ensure that the test methodologies selected have the capability of providing the quality of results required for patient care; meet accuracy standards; and laboratory personnel are using test methods for accurate and reliable results.
- Monitor utilisation patterns of laboratory services and advise senior management and other appropriate staff of developing trends in clinical service needs.
- Manage an expanding team of laboratory staff.
- Budgetary planning and oversight stock management, equipment purchase and recruitment requirements.
- Management of laboratory building related issues including that physical plant and environmental conditions of the laboratory are appropriate.
Working pattern, location and salary:
The role is a full-time position with a standard 37.5 hour working week. The role holder will be required to work flexibly.
The Director of Laboratory Service will be based at our laboratory in Huntingdon. They will need to visit other company sites.
Competitive salary depending on skills and experience.
- 25 days holiday per holiday year, plus public holidays
- Pension scheme
- Share options
- Personal development budget
- Health, dental, hearing and eye insurance
- Life insurance and critical illness cover
- Company laptop (Mac/Windows)
- Perks at work scheme
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free refreshments
- A knowledgeable, high-achieving, experienced and fun team
- The chance to be part of a growing start-up, the next leader in building integrated diagnostics by combining molecular biomarkers with digital solutions
Qualifications and background:
- Undergraduate degree in a biological discipline
- Master’s degree or higher in a biological discipline (desirable)
- Registration with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) (desirable)
- Fellow of the Institute of Biomedical Sciences (desirable)
- Ideally a minimum of 10 years’ experience in the management of a pathology laboratory
- Experience in laboratory histopathology techniques (desirable)
- Experience in cytological techniques (desirable)
- Proven experience in delivering transformative results in a laboratory setting
- Significant experience of team management and development
- Demonstrable experience of cross-functional collaboration and project execution
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced organisation with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Outstanding, motivational team leadership skills
- Proactive with drive and energy to deliver results
- Ability to adapt to emerging best practices and conversant with industry innovations
- Excellent organisational, problem solving and analytical skills
- Knowledge and experience of project management