A new opportunity has arisen for a Head of Change Delivery to lead the new Change Delivery Team for Scientific Operations within the Wellcome Sanger Institute.
Head of Change Delivery - Scientific Operations
This new team (circa 8 FTE) is focused on successful delivery of major change projects mainly involving, but not limited to, the implementation or major scaling of high throughput pipelines.
£78,784 to £87,612
About the role:
The Head of Change Delivery will be fully accountable for the effective administration and delivery of Scientific Operations’ project portfolio, such that cost, quality, schedule and benefits realisation are controlled and achieved. This will be done by ensuring that all projects adhere to the best practices and standard approaches developed for Project Management within the department.
This will also include establishing and growing the team to include the relevant skill sets, eg project/delivery management, business analysis, solutions design, change management and process improvement. Many of these projects are critical to the scientific delivery. This role is therefore critical to the Scientific Operations department and critical to the Sanger Institue’s success.
You will work with senior managers and stakeholders across the institution to establish the new team and embed new ways of working. This includes managing and supporting the team to successfully deliver, dealing with escalations and removing blockers.
- Degree educated or equivalent industry experience.
- Proficient in project and programme management (methods), progress reporting, risk management, project/programme management tools
- Proficient in project/programme planning and control techniques including PRINCE2 and AGILE methods
- Recent and extensive experience using leading methodologies and processes demonstrated over a number of separate programmes, with clear demonstrable examples of where transformation and change management experience were utilised to deliver the project / programme
- Multi-functional team management and coordination
- Confidently works with all levels and functions within multi-functional organisations.
- Demonstrates good networking and relationship building and the ability to effectively manage stakeholders both internally and externally
- Excellent track record of managing complex programmes in a process driven environment
- Effective in RAID Management, Change Control and Critical Path Analysis
- Able to demonstrate commercial and academic understanding and appreciation.
- Significant breath of experience at a project managerial level
- Proven track record of leading and delivering significant change programmes
- Experience of working with commercial suppliers and external agencies
Skills & Abilities
- Ability to work in a constantly changing environment with the ability to interpret management information to amend plans
- The ability to quickly assimilate relevant scientific and technical details
- Proven track record on delivering change
- Demonstrate success in delivering a number of complex projects through others on time, in budget and to agreed quality standards.
- Successfully resolve a range of people related issues effectively involving formal mechanisms where required.
- Ability to communicate complex technical concepts and analysis effectively to different organisations and audiences; accurately and concisely
- Demonstrate an ability to provide, receive and record both routine and highly complex communications, electronically, orally and written
- Highly developed excellent communication skills with experience of dealing with people at all levels successfully.
- High level of influencing and negotiating skills
- Ability to organise, plan and prioritise a diverse range of projects to meet statutory and other deadlines typically involving other disciplines/organisations
Consistently demonstrates the following competencies:
- Excellence in leadership and able to communicate and influence at all levels, including board-level, securing the required outcomes in a complex stakeholder landscape
- An individual with a driving force in quickly shaping a complex programme, ideally with experience of working across multiple disciplines and sectors
- Flexible and adaptable to meet the needs of a broad portfolio of projects
- Ability to multitask and prioritise
- Someone who is able to work at all levels in an organisation and display maturity and gravitas in approach and engagement with customers both internally within the organisation but also externally
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including persuading and Influencing
- Energetic and resilient.
- Can demonstrate initiative, creativity, flexibility and a personal ethos of continuous improvement
- Professional in approach and behaviour
- Proven organisational skills with the ability to plan and schedule effectively.
- Strategic thinking, ability to see the ‘bigger picture’
- Developing Self & Others
- Skills in financial management, budget and resources
Please include a covering letter, explaining how your experience and skills match the requirements of the role, and a CV with your application.
We will review applications until we find the right person for the role however a formal closing date will be 12th October.
We have adopted a flexible-hybrid working pattern to allow for remote and on-campus flexibility. There will be an expectation to be in the office between 60-80% of the time to underpin the collaborative nature of this role.