About the Role:
As an Automation Specialist within the Technology Development team, you will be responsible for translating proof of concept protocols into robust automated high throughput workflows on DNA Pipelines’ fleet of liquid handlers.
You will validate novel workflows through data generation, and ensure methods meet the agreed specification within a determined time frame.
You will be working closely with the DNA Pipelines operational teams to transition novel workflows into a production environment, provide ongoing support, mentorship and troubleshooting expertise.
You will have extensive knowledge and experience of method writing on large liquid handling platforms (e.g. Hamilton, Agilent Bravo, Tecan, Beckman etc.) within the context of high throughput pipeline development.
You will also be able to:
- critically evaluate liquid handling methods and resulting data to ensure they meet agreed specifications,
- have the ability to work collaboratively, and effectively communicate with a range of internal stakeholders,
- be comfortable working independently and prioritising your workload while meeting objectives effectively and efficiently,
- have strategic awareness and the ability to support large-scale projects in a complex, ever-changing environment.
DNA Pipelines is a core facility within Scientific Operations (Sci-Ops) at the Wellcome Sanger Institute consisting of multidisciplinary teams. DNA Pipelines’ primary function is to generate high-quality data and resources by translating ambitious experimental ideas into pipelines for our research faculty to deliver the Institute’s scientific goals.
In addition to this, DNA Pipelines are collaborating with external organisations to deliver genomic sequences for the world-leading data resource UK Biobank, and supporting public health by taking a leading role in the COG-UK consortium, sequencing SARS-CoV-2 genomes in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- BSc. (or equivalent) in a biological science or equivalent experience
- Extensive experience with laboratory automation and liquid handling.
- Proficient designing and writing complex methods on automated liquid handling platforms (e.g. Hamilton, Agilent Bravo, Tecan, Beckman etc.).
- Experience optimising and critically assessing liquid handling methods to meet desired requirements and specifications.
- Ability to work in an independent manner under minimal supervision.
- Proven effectiveness as a team player.
- Adaptive thinking with a track record in initiating concepts and driving them through to completion
- Track record of delivering projects to agreed schedules and quality standards
- Proven organisational skills with the ability to plan and schedule themselves
- Effective communicator with the ability to develop and maintain relationships inside and outside area of expertise
Your application should include both a CV and Covering letter along with the general application. In the Covering letter please give details as to how your skills and experience make you the best candidate for the position.