We are searching for a talented commercial lawyer to handle our Company’s legal transactions and agreements including partnerships, collaborations, licensing, and IP matters. Your principal goals will be to implement, manage and guarantee that all our Company transactions comply with relevant laws and regulations, while actively helping our Company control legal risks and potential conflicts.
Legal Manager (In-House Commercial Lawyer)
Paragraf is a young but already successful Cambridge start-up built on ground-breaking advancements in graphene-based electronics technologies. Our company mission is to deliver significantly improved, more accessible technologies in application spaces ranging from medical science through to green, renewable energy, bringing the benefits of graphene to all. We are searching for people who are driven by the idea of achieving what is currently out of reach, passionate about delivering science and technology that will enrich society. If you have this mindset and would like to bring your unique skills and ideas to Paragraf, we would love to hear from you and find out if you would like to join our exciting journey.
What we are looking for:
- Legal contact for the Company, dealing with in house queries and managing and liaising with external legal teams
- Draft, provide, review, and negotiate contracts and agreements on behalf and for the Company, from simple NDA’s through to full partner deals
- Work with other departments to advise on all legal aspects of commercial negotiations including alliance agreements, contracts, and licensing deals
- Support the IP Manager and Executive Team on legal matters regarding intellectual property
- Examine and control the legal issues related to new products and services
- Protect the Company against legal risks and potential violations
- Design and oversee the Company’s policy and position on legal matters
- Evaluate new business partnerships with vendors and subcontractors
- Guide management on legal regulatory and compliance issues
- Advise on contractual claims and disputes
- Company liaison with external corporate lawyers during funding raising rounds
What experience we require from you:
- Minimum 5 years post-qualification experience in commercial law, working in a law firm or in-house team.
- Superb oral and written communication skills, with the ability to explain legal concepts to non-attorneys on a regular basis.
- Excellent legal understanding of commercial law of England and Wales
- Experience of working with and managing external lawyers
- Must be proactive, organised, detail oriented and demonstrate accuracy and consistency
- Able to manage complex projects, formulate processes and systems, meet deadlines, prioritise workload and make timely decisions
- Experience of planning and managing spend to a budget
Advantageous Skills & Experience:
- Experience in startups and in technology businesses would be advantageous, in particular, experience of businesses selling technology into international markets
- Able to work with new ideas and technology, technology teams, abstracting concepts and their interaction with law and explaining the impact of law in novel areas.
- Experience of working with universities and regulatory bodies would be advantageous