Are you interested in helping secure the Internet of Things (IoT)?
Principal Software Engineer
Nine billion microcontroller-based devices are shipped every year, and our team builds Azure Sphere, Microsoft’s end-to-end solution for highly-secured, Internet-connected microcontroller devices. Thousands of businesses are now undergoing a digital transformation to connect their microcontroller-based devices to the internet, and our goal is to securely enable this transformation.
We're looking for engineers to join the Azure Sphere Acceleration Team, a customer-focussed team who enable customers to be highly productive during prototyping and productization of Azure Sphere solutions. We accomplish this through a wide range of mechanisms including code samples, software and hardware reference solutions, high-touch customer engagements, application notes, code snippets, demos, experimental product development, and more. We also collaborate with partners, both internal and external, to scale our impact, and we provide actionable feedback to other Azure Sphere product crews.
As an Acceleration team member, your primary skills will be technical (embedded software development, cloud connectivity, security, hardware interfaces, and more) but you will also need to be comfortable working with customers to understand their problems and working across the broader Azure Sphere organisation to ensure that what you learn from customers has maximum impact on the product.
Come join us! Azure Sphere team members have unparalleled opportunity to learn new skill sets, build pioneering solutions, and get exposure to a wide array of technologies.
To learn more about what we do, please visit www.microsoft.com/en-us/azure-sphere.
*Please note that we are open to accepting applications from Senior OR Principal level Engineers and are flexible on location and remote working for the right individual*
- Rapidly develop knowledge of the full Azure Sphere software stack and the current Azure Sphere hardware platforms
- Work with the Acceleration Team Lead and with customers to understand customer goals and help them build Azure-Sphere-based solutions to achieve those goals
- Build application prototypes and conduct experiments to evaluate alternative architectures
- Generalize your solutions to deliver publishable artifacts (code, application notes, reference solutions, learning materials, etc) that all customers can use to accelerate their progress with Azure Sphere
- Take end-to-end responsibility for the development, quality, testability, and testing of the software you build
- Collect and document customer insights so the Azure Sphere engineering teams can improve the platform
- 8+ years of software design and development experience, including two or more years’ experience designing and developing embedded software
- A bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or a related discipline OR an additional 4 years' work experience
- Experience developing production software using C or C++
- Experience working directly with customers
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience developing cloud-based software (Azure preferred)
- Experience developing on Linux
- Proven experience working through the full product cycle from initial design to the final product
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.