The Power Electronics Centre of Excellence seeks to hire a Product Design Engineer - Power Electronics.
Product Design Engineer (Power Electronics)
The primary focus of this Centre of Excellence is to design a range of custom motor drives (variable frequency) to surpass efficiency, usability and reliability requirements for a wide range of water applications. With one of the locations being with a world-class Cambridge-based consultancy, Sentec, we are supported by excellent facilities and superb access to its scientific experience and expertise whilst maintaining our constant focus on the design of motor drives.
As an Electronics Engineer working as part of the Power Electronics Centre of Excellence you will be responsible for the design and validation of power electronics (Variable Frequency Drives 1-22KW range) and associated digital control circuitry for a range of next generation, energy efficient Xylem Products. These will be based on core reusable platform architectures, customised for specific applications and environments.
As a Product Owner you will take a new product design from initial concept all the way through to testing, validation, and transfer into a CEM for high volume manufacturing. You will use elements from our platform as the basis of your designs, however, you will need to customise and re-calculate the design for specific power levels, develop new form factors or different digital interfaces. You will be the key “go to specialist” for one or several products based on our platform. To help bring to market these new products you will collaborate in an “agile” development team with key Xylem R&D sites in Europe, UK, US and India.
To be successful, you will demonstrate initiative in pursuit of technical solutions, have a hands-on approach to problem solving and be able to manage your work against time, budget, and customer expectations.
Essential Duties/Principal Responsibilities:
- Design high performance power electronics systems controlled by mixed signal digital microprocessors
- Requirement analysis, competitor analysis and vendor evaluations
- Design calculations and simulations, early prototyping, bench testing
- Generation of schematic design and circuit board layouts in Altium Designer
- Design for test, design for manufacturing, design for standard compliance
- Unit testing, system integration testing, type testing, product testing.
- Generation of Test documentation (both Design Proving and Production Level) for both individual circuit boards and the integrated unit.
- Transfer into manufacturing at a CEM of choice.
- Client facing - present project and product development updates, product support.
- Ability to work closely with colleagues across several disciplines - FW engineers, physicists, mechanical engineers.
- Participation in Xylem Watermark volunteer activities
Minimum Qualifications, Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification:
- Strong academic background (degree level or better with high marks) in a related subject
- Electrical, Electronic or Power Engineering
- Experience in designing mains connected electronics and associated circuit design.
- SMPS, EMC filtering, IGBT gate drive and protection (kW power levels), PFC
- Good knowledge of general-purpose microcontroller and mixed signal design
- Fundamental understanding of analogue/discrete electronics
- Experienced in analogue signal chain design and simulation (including SPICE)
- Proficient in schematic design/layout using a recognised CAD package (e.g. Altium Designer)
- Hands-on experience building and debugging hardware.
Preferred Qualifications, Education, Experience, Skills, Abilities, License/Certification
- Some familiarity with embedded firmware development and testing
- Familiarity with communication interfaces and protocols (e.g. RS485, Modbus, Ethernet)
- Strong understanding of signal processing and filtering, both in digital and analogue domains
- Experience with other power electronics systems, especially variable frequency inverters
- Prior experience as design lead or product owner.