Due to an acceleration in exciting, scientific growth, we have three new opportunities for a Scientific Manager to join our team in DNA Pipleines.
£35,359 to £42,356
About the roles:
- Build and monitor KPIs and performance metrics and report management information to the Team Leader
- Troubleshooting and driving the continuous improvement of processes to deliver data to the time and quality requirements specified.
- Dealing with changing priorities on a daily basis will be an ongoing challenge;
- Understanding the capacity and timeframes for delivery within each product line will be paramount to success in each of these roles.
All three positions sit within the Technical Administration team and all involve line management responsibilities; ensuring the teams provide first-rate customer service to end users and effective communication around quality and timeliness of delivery.
- Two of these roles will have Scientific Service Representatives and Scientific Service Assistants as direct reports.
- The third vacancy has responsibility for managing the Data QC group within the technical Administration team.
Job role 1:
Scientific Managers overseeing the data QC Team, will be required to:
- Recognise anomalies, flag to Product Leads & Team Leaders in a timely manner, troubleshoot and deliver rapid solutions to prevent a decrease in output and quality.
- Plan, organise and schedule the pipeline workload in line with priorities, as well as assessing risk and impact to projects. Communicate these priorities and their impact to the team to ensure work is completed, within the required timeframe.
Job roles 2 and 3:
Scientific Managers overseeing the Scientific Services Representatives and Scientific Services Assistants, will be required to:
- Ensure workload priorities and their impact are communicated within the team and to Product Leads and Team Leaders. Using knowledge of capacity and throughput in each service provision, identify resource required to ensure work is delivered to time and quality requirements.
- Working with Faculty and the Team Leader, interpret demand forecasts and convert demand into product work streams. Work with Team leader and SSRs to identify capacity issues and balance throughput with demand.
- BSc in a biological science or equivalent experience.
- Sound understanding of the concepts and principles that underpin the science of the pipelines.
- Computer literate: LIMS and Microsoft Office programmes including Word, Excel and Outlook.
Competencies and Behaviours
- Excellent organisational and planning skills in managing competing priorities in a busy environment.
- A collaborative nature; demonstrable experience and skills intact and diplomacy when dealing with difficult situations.
- To work with a degree of autonomy within area of responsibility
- Good attention to detail
- A high level of interpersonal and communications skills
In addition the following will be required according to the job role;
Job role 1 (Data QC):
- Ability to correctly interpret scientific data and troubleshoot over a range of issues.
Job roles 2 and 3 (SSR)
- Experience in maintaining and managing complex customer relationships over protracted time periods.
- Proven track record in customer facing role
- Experience in using MySQL and Tableau
- Line management experience and/or significant supervisory experience
We will review applications and interview on a rolling basis until we find the right person for the roles.