At Round Peg, we’re passionate about solving the design challenges of some the world’s most exciting and innovative products. Since 1995, Round Peg has been delivering world-class design and engineering expertise to our neighbours in the Cambridge technology cluster and clients nationwide.
Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
At Round Peg, we’re passionate about solving the design challenges of some the world’s most exciting and innovative products. We support new technology through the crucial stages of design, prototyping to manufacture and delivery.
We work with companies of every size, from start-ups to major players, and across a range of different industries, from medtech and pharma to telecoms, manufacturing and consumer products. We are a small team of enthusiastic individuals whose goal is to deliver simple, elegant solutions to our clients. We want every product to deliver more by using less. Our strength comes from the sheer breadth of our creativity and experience giving us a unique place in the Cambridge tech ecosystem.
In this role, your primary responsibility will be the design, development and implementation of new client products within predefined budget and time constraints. Whilst having the full support of the teams’ experience, you will be expected to represent us in front of clients and deliver the excellent quality of work for which we are renowned. You will deal with estimates and quotations for clients and be involved in overall project planning.
Day to day, you will support the more junior members of the team by reviewing their designs, helping to source products and parts and supporting the growth of their knowledge of design and manufacture. You will support on-the-job training or sourcing appropriate training courses that would benefit the team.
Skills and Experience
- A 2:1 degree or equivalent in Mechanical Engineering, Product Design, or related discipline.
- In excess of 5 years’ experience in Mechanical Design Engineering roles or similar.
- Strong creative and technical abilities in concept generation, engineering analysis and detail design.
- You will have an enthusiasm for innovation and creativity, demonstrated by evidence of proactive and commercially relevant development.
- Ability to work creatively and collaboratively in a team.
- Experience in 3D CAD (SolidWorks and Creo desirable).
- Knowledge of drawing and design standards and a competent understanding of design for manufacture.
- Understanding of a wide range of manufacturing techniques, materials and assembly processes.
- IT skills - including Microsoft Office.
- Good problem-solving skills and understand the fundamentals of root cause analysis.
- You will be able to plan and prioritise, work to deadlines and under pressure.
- Highly knowledgeable in developing plastic injection moulded components and enclosures for mass manufacture, sheet metal and machined components.
- PDM system experience.
- Software coding experience such as VBA or Python would be advantageous.
- Some experience of assisting team members.
- Some experience of project planning and estimations.