As a Staff Software Engineer in the Bango Engineering team, you will be leading development of new features for the Bango products, as well as working on building new internal tools to handle operational, customer care and financial requirements within the business. You will have a technical leadership role as part of a multi-role team collaborating with other Staff Software Engineers, guiding and working alongside the wider Software Engineering team, QA Automation Engineers, and various other cross-functional teams within the business. You will lead by example, and guide/mentor others to continually raise the bar for those around you and the team as a whole. You will be constantly considering best practices and ‘way of working’ principals, and will assist defining and evolving them for the team's future needs.
Staff Software Engineer
You will have a passion for technology and will lead the early adoption of key new technologies for Bango, giving consideration to architectural needs, best approaches to implement, and ensuring solutions are built with scalability, performance and security in mind. You will be a hands-on and expert coder, building world-class technology employing continuous delivery and dev-ops practices to deliver the next generation of apps and systems.
In return, Bango will provide an excellent working environment, flexible working options, opportunities for personal development, investment in training, opportunity to innovate, and a chance to work with some of the biggest and most well known companies as part of our extetensive global partner list.
- A hands-on technical and architectural lead for your team, influencing other teams on technology adoption and best practices.
- Evangelise, define and leads best practices for software engineering using cloud and other technologies.
- Support the team in driving a shared responsibility for smooth delivery of engineering solutions from design to implementation, always considering the platform design, its performance, security and supportability.
- Develop systems, implement solutions and automate tests.
- Refactor, optimize and fix defects/bugs in existing code base – identifying the best ways to refactor opportunistically along with consideration to longer-term plan.
- Review team members’ code, driving best practices across the team.
- Support regular process reviews, aiding the identification of improvements and collaborating with peers and management.
- Research new technologies to improve the Bango ‘Tech Stack’ and products, sharing responsibility of technology roadmap with other Staff Software Engineers.
- Support and facilitate knowledge sharing across your team and for other teams, providing assistance in skill assessments for team career development.
Essential skills and experience:
- To succeed in this role, you will be able to demonstrate your experience in the following:
- Have led the implementation of architectural designs, having an excellent understanding of the options available, and having taken into consideration business parameters and constraints.
- You are a proven ‘technology early adopter’, and understand how to validate new technology choices. You understand how to spend appropriate time on research, validation, and proof of concept phases before adoption.
- Leading/ driving technology goals and their definition by working with management and cross-functional teams (i.e. Product Management) - validating requirements to summarize benefits and trade-offs.
- Be experienced and passionate about technology evangelizing inside and outside of the organization, attending meetups and other events to lead technology discussions and collaborations.
- Significant number of years experience in a commercial development environment.
- Proven experience developing using cloud technologies such as AWS, Google or Azure.
- DevOps understanding with container technologies (Docker, Kubernetes).
- Proven understanding of DevOps practices, and use of them to build CI/CD pipelines.
- Excellent knowledge of .NET or Java technologies including C#.
- Experience with other programming languages such as Go, Python.
- Experience with NoSQL database technologies.
- Good knowledge of SQL databases such as MS SQL Server, Postgres and MySQL.
- Experienced in Quality Assurance testing - unit, functional and regression.
- Good understanding and working knowledge of continuous integration/delivery.
- An analytical mind, with excellent problem solving skills.
- Strong verbal and written communication.
- Strong in documentation (including diagramming complex solutions) at differing levels for engineers, support staff, and laypersons to understand.
- Eligible to work in UK.
Desirable skills and experience
- You may already have experience of some of the following or be looking for the opportunity to work in these areas. Your drive to acquire new skills is equally as important to us as your ability to demonstrate existing experience of these technologies;
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (Terraform or CloudFormation).
- Fun, friendly and informal working environment
- Your own Bango buddy - to help you settle in
- Bendi-time (flexible working hours)
- Bango social events
- Choose your own headphones, keyboard & mouse
- Generous share option scheme
- Private Medical Insurance
- Health Cash Plan
- 25 days holiday a year increasing to 28 days with 4 years’ service
- Cycle to work, bike lock, gym discount
- Financial support for employee activity groups and charitable activities
- Free fruit, drinks and snacks, limitless tea, coffee and good quality espressos
- Company branded hoodie, slippers … to keep you happy and comfortable
- Group personal pension scheme
- Life assurance
- Employee Assistance Program