AstraZeneca is an exciting global, innovation-driven biopharmaceutical company. We’re inspired by what science can do. Driven by the desire to meet unmet patient needs in our core therapeutic areas. Bold in our thinking. Proactive in pursuing discoveries beyond imagination. At sites across the world, we bring teams together in a spirit of collaboration to turn great ideas into life-changing medicines – strengthening our product portfolio and harnessing the potential of a pipeline across all stages of the drug development process.
Communications Director - Finance Transformation 12 month FTC
Finance at AstraZeneca has a clear vision to be trusted partners – creating value and leading change. As such, Finance has a pivotal role to play in shaping AstraZeneca’s long-term financial health, partnering to deliver great results through insight, delivering excellence in financial operations and safeguarding AstraZeneca’s assets and reputation.
In 2019, as phase one of the Finance Transformation (FT) programme completes its roll out to modernise, simplify and standardise finance data, systems, processes and policies, it is time to embark on the next phase of transformation.
A new programme is being stepped up to embrace new technologies, embed new behaviours and leverage opportunities for further innovation and growth supporting AstraZeneca’s strategy. There is an opportunity to bring to life the compelling benefits that have been delivered in phase one, whilst engaging employees in the next phase of the journey. The new programme will focus on delivering improvements across Finance globally in the areas of manufacturing accounting, Cash forecasting, Master Data Governance (MDG) and Gross-to-Net.
In this role you will work with the FT leadership team to define the vision, articulate the strategy and develop the next chapter of Finance’s transformation story, inspiring Finance employees and the wider business by ensuring cross functional communication, tracking toward product launch milestones, with a goal of each launch having the intended positive impact on stakeholders.
You will work closely with the Communications Director Enabling Units and the VP Finance Transformation and must be able to gain the trust and respect of internal stakeholders, who will rely on your advice and guidance on internal communications matters.
Excellent writing, project management, planning and multi-channel communications experience is essential, with a proven track record for delivering innovative and successful internal product focused communications. In addition, you will be required to fully realise the engagement potential of AZ’s digital channels and strive to build their effectiveness. A sound Finance communications background is desirable.
The pace of change and often sensitive content involved, means that you are required to demonstrate resilience, exemplary personal judgment, initiative and collaborative skills while working as part of a close-knit team.
- Works with Communications Director Enabling Units, VP Finance Transformation and FSMT to support the delivery of the Finance Transformation Communication plan – Pivot comms from ‘what is coming’ to describe the case for change and highlight the benefits that FT delivers to all AZ regions
- Be the FT ‘product’ champion of FT benefits from the user’s perspective, clearly demonstrating how FT has transformed and delivered business benefits in each region and functional area
- Advises and supports the communications needs of senior executives
- Develops and executes best practice change communication to support FT activities
- Leads the planning, development and delivery of communication events related to FT
- Ensures all internal communication shares a unified look and feel that reflects the company’s business priorities, strategy and brand
- Prioritises relevant internal messages
- Ensures communication is continuous, consistent and distributed through appropriate channels
- Advises leadership on sequencing for communication cascades, counsels leadership on message, approach and style for planned communications
- Encourages cross-functional collaboration and information exchange across a highly matrixed organisation
- Acts on behalf of Internal Communication’s at team meetings and brings up underlying opportunities, concerns, trends and potential issues
- Ensures alignment of approaches to FT communication plans and across units to ensure consistency
Minimum Requirements - Education and Experience
- A recognised expert in change communication of Finance or Technical Product launch exposure – Ability to sell benefits of FT deliverables provided to Finance colleagues to consume globally (Enterprise Planning Hub, Management reporting Hub, external Reporting Hub – Oracle Cloud Financials and Mobility platform launches)
- Management of complex business change with international dimensions
- Good understanding of the AZ business and its Finance environment
- Track record of working in a product marketing and delivery focused environment
- Ability to set and manage priorities, resources, goals, and project initiatives
- First-rate coordination, collaboration, organisation and multi-tasking skills
- Exemplary written and verbal communications skills, backed by strong channel management, digital skills and knowledge of technology options
- Sound judgment
- Confident working with senior leaders, comfortable delivering the contrary viewpoint when necessary
- Experience of managing different stakeholder relationships at all levels
- Highest level of integrity, able to handle highly confidential/material information
- High levels of self-motivation and personal accountability, bringing enthusiasm and energy to the team and peer group
- Excellent eye for detail and upholding visual and verbal identity
- Demonstrates personal resilience and encourages resilience and flexibility in others
- Develops and maintains networks across business and cultural boundaries
Key external stakeholders: Minimal.
Key internal stakeholders: VP Finance Transformation, FT work stream leads and Finance Senior Management team.
Global Travel: Travel will be required, primarily between other AstraZeneca sites in the UK, but also potential travel globally where needed.
This opportunity is open to applications from Corporate Affairs employees, with displaced employees being given preference if candidates are of equal capability. Displaced candidates outside of IC are also given the opportunity to apply.