Highly motivated Software Developer required to develop our OpenStack cloud platforms, infrastructure and assist our customers migration to distributed compute models.
Senior Software Developer and Systems Administrator
An exciting Software Development opportunity has become available to further develop our scientic software infrastructure to further assit our scientific research teams in their migration toward a more cloud native environment.
The position will be based in the Scientific Computing area of Sanger’s core IT team, at the Wellcome Sanger Institute. This group currently provides >20,000 cores of traditional HPC compute and now an additional 6,000 cores dedicated to our internal OpenStack cloud.
Specifically, the role will involve developing our OpenStack based virtualised compute infrastructure, including tools for its management, maintenance and R&D. It will also require working closely with our scientific community to provide coding advice, guidance on the best practice use of cloud compute in an efficient, adaptable and scalable fashion.
This position would suit a Software Developer who enjoys developing software solutions for large scale data analysis, and would like to take on the challenge of an evolving devops environment.
We are looking for an individual who enjoys working in a multi-disciplinary team environment to help solve complex IT issues with an open mind.
- Good degree in the areas of Bioinformatics, Mathematics, Physics or Computer Science
- Software development skills
- Enjoy working as part of a team
- Experience with creating web based interactive course contents.
- Experience of OpenStack, VMware or Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Experience of any of the following technologies, Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible and the HashiCorp Suite (Nomad, Consul, Vault, Terraform, Vagrant, Packer)
- Software development using a core language, preferably Python, Go or similar
- Experience of development in a Continual Integration environment
- LSF or Open Grid scheduling software
- Experience of working within an Agile orientated group.
- Happy to take the lead on new areas of emerging technology.
- Ability to work independently, organise own workload and meet tight deadlines
- Ability to communicate ideas and results effectively
- Keen to learn and share ideas and knowledge
Although experience of software development or bioinformatics would be an advantage, applications are welcome from enthusiastic and committed graduates or candidates from other fields who wish to pursue a career in bioinformatics whilst carrying out a challenging and rewarding role.
Over the last 20 years, the Informatics Support Team, has been instrumental in delivering world class scientific computing solutions to the Sanger research community. This year we brought in a complimentary OpenStack Cloud environment to help address emerging trends within the bioinformatics and technology arenas.
The team have contributed patches and fixes back upstream to core OpenStack and Ceph projects and more recently, we have developed a multi-tenant lustre (high performance cluster file-system) solution that has gained significant interest in the wider community (https://hpc-news.sanger.ac.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Lustre-for-openstack-whitepapers.pdf) We maintain both an internal gitlab environment and also commit code externally via github (https://github.com/wtsi-ssg), providing an opportunity to share our work with other interested parties.
Closing date: 24 October 2019