R&D Lab Team design and test complex PCBs for internal customers, primarily for new silicon evaluation. From Bluetooth to Audio and IOT, our boards are key for the successful evaluation of new exciting silicon projects. The team is also responsible for supporting our in house High Temperature Operating Life (HTOL) reliability stress test through board design and test bring up. The IoT Business Unit is a leading player in Internet of Things, Voice and Music and Bluetooth Smart with locations around the world.
Characterisation Intern - 3 Months
Qualcomm is a company of inventors that unlocked 5G ushering in an age of rapid acceleration in connectivity and new possibilities that will transform industries, create jobs, and enrich lives. But this is just the beginning. It takes inventive minds with diverse skills, backgrounds, and cultures to transform 5Gs potential into world-changing technologies and products. This is the Invention Age and this is where you come in.
The IoT Business Unit is a leading player in Internet of Things, Voice and Music and Bluetooth Smart with locations around the world. The business group develops and delivers hardware, software and applications that bring together the very latest wireless and audio technologies to create industry leading audio voice and music products. You will be joining a successful engineering department whose deliveries can be found in billions of Bluetooth and Voice and Music products worldwide.
Based in Cambridge UK, this role offers a 3 month internship position in the Characterisation team. Our team provides test data which is used as part of the product development process and published in specification documents which accompany the companys products. We also take an active part in the transfer to production process for new products, including debugging of RF performance issues. The successful applicant will work as part of our engineering team on automated test systems and will undertake the development of new features and system revisions, technical maintenance and debug of the systems, overseeing of test runs and reporting upon and providing analysis of the results collected. The role requires a mixture of hardware and software skills and may involve working with colleagues across a variety of teams (Software, Systems, Analogue, Digital) both in the UK and overseas.
- Development of test software in Python and/or C#
- Creating new test techniques and algorithms for both existing and emerging technologies
- Working with colleagues to review RF performance data and test result summary reports
- Software and hardware debug of testing issues
- Working with other team members to plan testing, development and maintenance
- Working with other team members to ensure that testing progress is regularly monitored
- Reviewing PCB designs
- Light prototyping work including assembly and soldering
- Candidates should have completed two years of Bachelors/Masters Degree in Electronic Engineering or similarly relevant subject.
- Good knowledge of RF Electronics and Communications
- Basic knowledge of wireless communication standards (Bluetooth, WLAN, GSM, WCDMA, IS-95, IS-2000, 1xEVDO etc.)
- Ability to program effectively in Python and/or C#
- Mathematical and Statistical analysis skills
- Excellent oral and written communications skills
- Proactive, creative, curious, motivated to learn and contribute with good collaboration skills
- Candidates should have completed two years of Bachelors/Masters Degree in Electronic Engineering or similarly relevant subject