PA Consulting works with clients who want to gain a commercial edge by using new technologies in both new and established markets.
Applied Sciences Summer Intern
The Applied Sciences team uses fundamental science to support early stage and proof of concept projects, ultimately answering the question, “Is this possible?” For this we need scientists, with a background in materials science, physics, chemistry, or biomedical engineering who want to go further than just ask the questions, but actually want to go from building prototypes to working with engineering teams to bring new products to market.
- We translate science and technology into commercially viable break-out products and processes
- We give our clients a true competitive edge by providing the data to make rational product development decisions
- We do this by the practical application of applied fundamental science to prototype, characterise and explore technology
Do you get excited about working out how to peel pineapples moving at 6 metres per second? Do you want to build a machine to cool a can of beer to -2°C in less than 10 seconds? Can you put together an experiment to measure the electrical impedance of human skin in an afternoon?
In your internship you might find yourself getting involved in developing a new medical device, new diagnostics or a new consumer product. And because we think (and work) fast, you could see a product at any stage from concept through prototype manufacture and even launch.
During your 10 weeks as an intern at PA, you’ll learn some of what it takes to be a top-notch consultant. You’ll be coached and guided by experts and have countless opportunities to broaden your experience on challenging projects and programmes. Whatever you work on, you’ll be part of the team and free to build your networks, both here at PA and far beyond.
What we're looking for
- You’ll be on track fora first or 2:1 degree in a biological science, Chemistry, Materials Science or Physics (or equivalent).
- Passion for turning new technology to a commercial purpose
- A keen interest in hands-on technology development
- The ability to think without constraint and the hunger to take on new challenges
- Talent and enthusiasm to work as part of a team of scientists on technical projects
- Adaptability, initiative and confidence
- The flexibility to solve problems logically as well as creatively
- Numeracy, an analytical mind and exceptional deadline-driven organising skills
- Exceptional communication skills
The start date for this role will be in July 2021.
This role is open to undergraduates in their penultimate year of university. If you intend to return to university after the internship to complete an MSc, you will also be eligible for this position.
• Private medical insurance
• Travel allowance
• 25 days annual leave with the opportunity to buy 5 additional days
• Company pension scheme
• Annual performance-based bonus
• Life and Income protection insurance
• Tax efficient benefits (cycle to work, give as you earn)
• Additional optional benefits (Dental, critical illness, spouse/partner life assurance)
We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world.
As strategies, technologies and innovation collide, we create opportunity from complexity.
Our diverse teams of experts combine innovative thinking and breakthrough use of technologies to progress further, faster. Our clients adapt and transform, and together we achieve enduring results.
An innovation and transformation consultancy, we are over 3,200 specialists in consumer, defence and security, energy and utilities, financial services, government, health and life sciences, manufacturing, and transport. Our people are strategists, innovators, designers, consultants, digital experts, scientists, engineers and technologists. We operate globally from offices across the UK, US, Europe, and the Nordics.
PA. Bringing Ingenuity to Life.
Inclusion & Diversity
We believe that diversity makes us a stronger firm and look to employ people with different ideas, styles and skillsets. This diversity stimulates a rich, creative environment – one in which our people develop, and our clients enjoy enduring results. We’re committed to recruiting, promoting and rewarding our people solely based on their ability to contribute to PA’s goals, without regard to their sex, race, disability, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age or marital status.
We welcome international applications, but we are unable to offer sponsorship for work permits, so you will need to have the full right to live and work in the UK. Unfortunately, your application will be automatically rejected if you do not have these rights.