Date open: 29/11/2023
Date close: 14/12/2023
We have an exciting opportunity in Chemical Development for an analytical associate principal scientist specialising in Tides to join our team. If you have experience in the development of synthetic peptides or oligonucleotides we would like to hear from you.
You will join a vibrant team working on the next generation of medicines, playing a key role in the analytical development of new medicinal products. As an experienced analytical scientist, you will be responsible for providing strategic and technical leadership towards the successful development of our Tides related active pharmaceutical ingredients. You will be working collaboratively with a multiskilled team including process chemists, engineers, project managers, quality assurance, supply chain and external partners to achieve the successful delivery of late-phase development projects.
This is your opportunity to deliver medicines that have a direct impact on patients’ lives!
Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT&D) is the bridge between forward-thinking science and innovative medicines that help millions of people. We work across the entire value chain, designing and delivering active ingredients, formulations and devices required to support new medicines – from supplies for use in early toxicology studies and clinical trials to developing the technology to ensure drugs can be scaled up for commercial manufacture.
Within PT&D sits Chemical Development where we believe that nothing is impossible and are determined to push the boundaries of science to deliver medicines to patients. We combine technical knowledge and individual talent to design, develop and optimise synthetic routes and analytical methods that deliver active pharmaceutical ingredients in a sustainable and commercially viable way. We believe in innovation and continuous improvement, working closely with colleagues in academia and across industry, to ensure that we apply the newest technologies and principles in the development and delivery of our medicines.
- Lead complex Tides development projects for the analytical skill area from phase 2b/3 through to commercialisation
- Develop robust analytical control strategies for Tides APIs, leading to the registration of new medicines
- Deliver CMC content to regulatory filings throughout the clinical development and commercial filing phases
- Identify and solve project issues in collaboration with other departments
- Provide expert challenge to drug projects and role model positive behaviours to advance new ways of working and scientific development
- Demonstrate scientific leadership to facilitate strategic development of drug projects and technical development of other scientists
- Coach and develop junior colleagues, supporting them in reaching their full potential
- Contribute to the advancement of Chemical Development by defining and delivering continuous improvement plans
Essential skills and experience:
- BSc/PhD level education in a relevant subject area and a significant number of years’ experience working within a Research & Development and Manufacturing environment, within the pharmaceutical industry
- A thorough understanding of key analytical techniques associated with Tides analysis; including NMR, chromatography, and mass spectrometry
- Experience in developing control strategies for Tides APIs
- Experience in supporting clinical and/or commercial manufacture and/or working with contract manufacturing organisations
- A thorough understanding of the principles and management of SHE and cGMP
- Experience of technical supervision, coaching and mentoring or leading small teams of people or scientific projects
- Experience in management of complex projects (including resources, risks, and stakeholder management)
Desirable skills and experience:
- A good understanding of the overall drug development process from discovery through to launch
- Experience in delivering CMC content or contributions to regulatory filings for clinical and commercial products
- Excellent communication and strategic influencing skills across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise both internally and externally
- The ability to lead improvement projects confidently and successfully
- Ability to analyse and interpret complex situations and provide clear strategic direction
How to apply
Please note applications must include your current CV and a covering letter which presents your key areas of strength and why you should be considered for the role.
When we put unexpected teams in the same room, we unleash bold thinking with the power to inspire life-changing medicines. In-person working give us the platform we need to connect, work at pace and challenge perceptions. That’s why we work, on average, a minimum of four days per week from the office. But that doesn’t mean we’re not flexible. We balance the expectation of being in the office while respecting individual flexibility. Join us in our unique and ambitious world.
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being an outstanding Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and spark your high-reaching spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients, and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and partnership, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth, and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
Are you ready to bring new insights and fresh thinking to the table, Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
Competitive salary and benefits.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.