Date open: 29/11/2023
Date close: 14/12/2023
We are a growing group looking for strong analytical scientists with Tides (synthetic peptides or oligonucleotides) analysis experience to join a vibrant team that is working on the next generation of medicines and play a key role in the analytical development of new medicinal products. You will be responsible for using science and innovation to deliver analytical knowledge that encompasses understanding of manufacturing processes, control strategy and robustness during the development of early through to late stage products. You will be able to work independently and lead interactions within cross functional teams, including with Process Chemists, Engineers, Contract Manufacturing Organisations (CMOs), Product Development, Regulatory CMC, Quality Assurance and Supply Chain.
As part of a global company with a focus on developing its people, you will have the opportunity to develop both personally and professionally while helping to deliver innovative medicines across the globe.
Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT&D) are the bridge, which turns brilliant science into medicines that help millions of people. We work across the entire value chain, designing and delivering active ingredients, formulations and devices required to support new medicines – from supplies for use in early toxicology studies and clinical trials to developing the technology to ensure drugs can be scaled up for commercial manufacture.
As a Tide analytical chemist working closely with process chemists, engineers, project managers and other scientists, you will contribute to pharmaceutical development programmes for Tide APIs, supporting project progression through late clinical development and launch. You may lead significant parts of analytical chemistry development programmes, directing the work of other scientists. Your role will involve:
- Leading Tide API analytical activities to support project progression from clinical development phases through to late development and commercialisation.
- Collaborating with external Tides manufacturing partners to deliver the analytical aspects of GMP Tide API manufacture.
- The development of Tides API analytical control strategies, keeping a strong focus on quality for our patients.
- Identifying and solving potential analytical project issues.
- Planning and conducting lab-based experimental work in accordance with project timelines.
- Supporting the technical development of other scientists.
- Keeping abreast of scientific developments and proactively applying existing and novel approaches to projects.
- Authoring the Tides API CMC components of regulatory submissions and preparation of successful regulatory responses.
- Contributing to strategy for delivery of Tides products, including developing proposals for new internal and/or external S&T development programmes.
- Contributing to development of AZ Tide regulatory strategy.
Required Qualifications, Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- A degree (BSc, MSc or equivalent) in Chemistry or Analytical Chemistry with a proven track record of analytical development in a pharmaceutical environment, or a PhD including aspects of analytical measurement.
- Knowledge and practical experience across a range of analytical techniques, e.g. LC, MS, GC, NMR and their application to Tide APIs analysis.
- Scientific leadership skills and the ability to use knowledge and experience to assess options available and deliver robust scientific contributions to projects
- Strong problem-solving skills, underpinned by strong practical laboratory experience
- Experience of working collaboratively within a mixed skill technical team and ability to develop and utilise networks
- Ability to communicate complex scientific information in a clear, concise and understandable way
Desirable Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Previous experience in analytical methods development and validation for the analysis of Tides API.
- Delivering Tide manufactures and Tide analytical development activities either via a CMO or within a CMO.
- Familiarity with methods and instruments used for Tides analysis such as LC (SEC, RP, IEX, HILIC), 2D-LC, FTIR, SEC-MALS and mass spec.
- Understanding of different types of impurities formed during Tide API manufacture and on storage. With awareness of required analytical controls.
- Ability to confidently and successfully lead improvement projects.
- Strong influencing, planning and prioritisation skills to ensure project delivery to deadlines.
- Experience of leading technical teams, coaching and people development.
- Commitment to improvement and innovation and knowledge of Lean principles.
- Knowledge and practical experience of quality and regulatory requirements (GMP and ICH) and health and safety requirements.
- Data science skills and data visualisation (PowerBI/Power Query)
When we put unexpected teams in the same room, we unleash bold thinking with the power to inspire life-changing medicines. In-person working give us the platform we need to connect, work at pace and challenge perceptions. That’s why we work, on average, a minimum of five days per week from the office. But that doesn’t mean we’re not flexible. We balance the expectation of being in the office while respecting individual flexibility. Join us in our unique and ambitious world.
How to Apply
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please complete the full application form on our website. Applications must include your current CV and a covering letter, which presents your motivation for applying and suitability for the role.
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being an outstanding Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and spark your high-reaching spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients, and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and partnership, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth, and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
Are you ready to bring new insights and fresh thinking to the table, Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
Competitive salary and benefits.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.