The Faculty of Classics is seeking to appoint an Assistant Professor in Classics (Latin literature) from 01 September 2024. The role is open to those, at any stage in their career, with a primary research interest in Latin literature. The successful candidates will have, or be expected to develop, a record of world-class research commensurate with the international reputation and top-rank research rating of the Faculty of Classics. Teaching responsibilities will include contributing to the development and delivery of undergraduate courses and supervising final-year projects and postgraduate students. Information about the Faculty can be found at www.classics.cam.ac.uk.
The undergraduate and postgraduate student body in Classics has become increasingly diverse in recent years and we aim to achieve similar diversity among academic staff. Accordingly, the Faculty particularly encourages women and candidates from a Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic background to apply for these vacancies. The University was awarded the Race Equality Charter Bronze award in 2019; the Faculty of Classics was awarded the Athena SWAN Bronze award in 2021.
Candidates will need to show evidence of the following qualifications, skills and experience:
- Good first degree and a doctorate in a relevant subject area (or clear evidence that completion of such a doctorate is imminent);
- Evidence of ability to engage in high-level research in Latin literature, with publications and participation in scholarly activity commensurate with stage of career;
- Evidence of ability to teach classical Greek and Latin language;
- Ability to play an effective role in the life and work of the Faculty as a whole and willingness to contribute equitably to the administrative tasks of the Faculty;
- Ability to work as part of a team.
In order for your application to be considered, please ensure you upload the following:
- list of publications
- covering letter
- writing samples (up to a maximum of approximately 20,000 words).
Applicants are requested to ask three referees to write directly to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. The Faculty will not contact referees; this is the sole responsibility of the applicant.
The closing date for is midnight (GMT) on Thursday 21 March 2024. Interviews will take place across two days, on Thursday 2 and Friday 3 May 2024.
Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
Please quote reference GE40161 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.