Associate Principal Scientist (Analytical) Senior Project and Technical Lead
AstraZeneca is a major international healthcare business engaged in the research, development, manufacture and marketing of prescription pharmaceutical and the supply of healthcare services. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies. At AstraZeneca we’re proud to have a unique workplace culture that inspires innovation and collaboration. Here, employees are empowered to express diverse perspectives and are made to feel valued, energized and rewarded for their ideas and creativity.
Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT&D) are the bridge, which turns brilliant science into actual medicines that help millions of people. We work across the entire value chain, designing and delivering active ingredients, formulations and devices required to support new medicines – from supplies for use in early toxicology studies and clinical trials to developing the technology to ensure drugs can be scaled up for commercial manufacture.
Introduction to role:
Join our multi-skilled On-Market support group within Chemical Development at AstraZeneca, dedicated to the lifecycle management of commercial active pharmaceutical ingredients (API). As an experienced analytical scientist, you will lead our analytical technical contribution to maintain and optimise supply for one or more AstraZeneca commercial products. This role is a unique opportunity to shape the future of Operations at AstraZeneca and contribute to delivering more medicines to patients, quicker and more affordably.
You will be responsible for leading the authoring and providing a significant contribution to the CMC components of regulatory submissions. You will provide expert technical input to change control and improvement activities at CMOs and internal AZ API manufacturing sites. You will represent Chemical Development as lead analyst on CMC Project delivery and Global Supply Teams. You will also coach and develop junior colleagues, supporting them in reaching their full potential.
- BSc/PhD level education in a relevant discipline
- Significant experience working within a Research & Development and Manufacturing environment, within the pharmaceutical industry
- Good understanding of the overall drug development process from discovery through to launch
- Experience of technical supervision, coaching and mentoring or leading small teams of people or scientific projects
- Specialist in one or more related analytical areas or techniques
- Thorough understanding of the principles and management of SHE and cGMP
- Significant experience of delivering CMC content or contributions to regulatory filings throughout the life cycle of process or formulation analytical development, in the pharmaceutical industry
- Understanding of key analytical techniques, including NMR, chromatography and mass spectrometry
- Ability to think and operate across functional boundaries
- Excellent communication and strategic influencing skills across interfaces of discipline, culture, and expertise both internally and externally
- Proven problem solver with in-depth technical skills
- Proficiency in the use of statistics to understand data
- Experience of supporting commercial manufacture and working with contractors
- Experience of late-stage development with a background in an analytical skill group
At AstraZeneca, we are driven by our commitment to deliver accelerated growth and to make people's lives better. We thrive in our often intense and ambiguous environment, seeking out new challenges and working towards new solutions. We are part of an inclusive and giving community, supporting each other on our journeys. We are intellectually stimulated by constant learning. There's potential for multiple, global careers and great rewards, for those who embrace the diverse opportunities.
Ready to make a positive impact? Apply now to be part of shaping the next phase of Operations' journey towards the 2025 strategy at AstraZeneca!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.