We have an exciting new opportunity for a Cloud Bioinformatics Developer in the Tree of Life programme to develop a public platform for the automatic generation of Genome Note publications.
The Tree of Life Programme at the Sanger Institute was established to develop and deliver platforms that will transform our understanding of the natural world through high-volume and high-quality biodiversity genomics.
The two largest projects currently are the Darwin Tree of Life and Aquatics Symbiosis Genomics projects, which, combined, aim to sequence over 73,000 species. Many similar initiatives are sprouting up, coordinated through the Earth BioGenome Project. We firmly believe in open science and the FAIR principles, and are releasing all our data together with open-access publications (“genome notes”) free of charge in Wellcome Open Research.
About the Role:
You will be developing a platform for the automatic generation of Genome Note publications. A web application will take in a public assembly and a journal template, automatically compute all relevant metrics and analyses, and submit the genome note to the journal. The platform shall be deployed on a public cloud, and accessible by anyone in the world who want to publish their genome. The role will require coordinating with participating journals the format of such publications, and the analyses that need to be included. The role involves designing and implementing these bioinformatics pipelines, and also the “full-stack” software development of the application: frontend and backend code, as well as the backing database.
The platform will have a tremendous impact, by enabling rapid data publication, and will help democratising biodiversity genomics.
You are a skilled Software Developer who loves software of all shapes and sizes, and are keen on taking ownership of an entire project, designing and writing it from top to bottom.
You have a demonstrated understanding of genomics, and experience of running genomics pipelines and software. You uniquely combine a passion for genomics and software development, and have experience with public cloud deployments. You are an excellent communicator with the ability to build effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels including influencing key decision makers on the best solutions for the project.
- MSc, or equivalent working experience, in Bioinformatics, Software development, or Computer Science
- Evidence of successful delivery in large or complex software projects and acting as a technical lead in both design and implementation
- Experience of UNIX/Linux and shell scripting
- Solid experience in building and using RESTful Web Services and APIs
- Experience in designing and developing server-side code, e.g. Python/Django
- Solid database experience (SQL or NoSLQ)
- Experience using cloud environments such as AWS or GCP
- Demonstrable understanding in the fields of genomics, data processing and high-throughput data analysis
- Experience running and writing genomics pipelines in languages such as SnakeMake or Nextflow
- Experience in development best practice, git, CI/CD, working in an Agile environment
Competencies and Behaviours:
- Ability to prioritise, manage workload, and deliver agreed activities consistently
- Ability to work collaboratively with a range of stakeholders at all levels
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbal and written) with all levels of management & staff
- High degree of initiative and self-motivation
- Ability to effectively explain technical issues to non-technical users
- Ability to actively question and listen to be able to problem solve
- High level of problem solving/analytical skills
- Ability to think laterally in order to combine disparate technologies
We have a flexible-hybrid working pattern model to allow for flexibly between remote and office working. You can also find out more about our inspiring campus here.
Please include a CV and covering letter with your application describing how you meet the essential criteria for the role.