The Faculty of Modern and Medieval Languages and Linguistics is seeking an enthusiastic, ambitious and highly motivated senior administrator to join us from January 2024 in this full-time role leading the professional services team responsible for our undergraduate programmes.
A busy and complex institution, the Faculty of Modern and Medieval Languages and Linguistics is a world-leading centre for teaching and research in language and linguistics comprising of six Sections: French, German, Italian, Slavonic Studies, Spanish & Portuguese, and Theoretical & Applied Linguistics. With nearly 1,000 students (around 750 undergraduates, 65 MPhil students and 140 PhD students), the Faculty is home to around 140 academic, research, and professional services staff based on the University's Sidgwick Site, a short walk from the centre of Cambridge.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication and organisational skills, a demonstrable interest in supporting and developing staff and experience of administration in higher education, preferably within a teaching environment. Our new colleague will collaborate effectively with academic and professional services colleagues across and beyond the Faculty to develop and enhance policy and procedure. They will enjoy the challenge of creating and improving systems and processes with their team while also managing day to day activity.
Main duties will include:
- Leading and managing a team of 7 professional services staff
- Acting as professional services lead for undergraduate policy and procedure
- Supporting academic colleagues to ensure the effective delivery of the undergraduate programme
- Developing administrative policy, process and procedure for the undergraduate programme
- Coordinating a complex assessment process in partnership with colleagues in and out of the Faculty
- Support key decision-making bodies of the Faculty as Committee Secretary
- Facilitate cross-team working across the professional services as appropriate
- Deputise for and manage projects on behalf of the Faculty Manager as required
Benefits of working at Cambridge include:
- Competitive rates of pay with automatic service-related pay progression and annual cost of living increases
- Generous annual leave allowance of 41 days paid leave (including bank holidays)
- Flexible and hybrid working opportunities (many staff work a 60/40 in-person/remote pattern)
- Generous maternity, adoption and shared parental leave entitlement and other family friendly schemes
- An auto-enrolment pension scheme, with a generous employer contribution
- Travel benefits and retail discounts at over 2,000 local and national stores
Informal enquiries about the post may be addressed to Alex Drury, Faculty Manager (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
For questions on the application process, please contact the Schools HR team on MMLLPersonnel@admin.cam.ac.uk.
The closing date for applications is midnight (GMT) on Sunday 26 November 2023. Interviews are planned for w/c 04 December 2023, subject to change.
Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
Please quote reference GP39204 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.