Here at the world-famous and internationally respected Wellcome Sanger Institute, we have an exciting opportunity for a talented leader and big picture thinker with a strong background in operational and people management to support the Cellular Operations team.
Your remit will be to provide strategic guidance and management support to multiple, diverse teams to guide the delivery of cell and molecular biology projects.
About the role
- Lead a number of Cellular Operations teams that deliver a variety of standard and bespoke services, facilities and platforms to drive delivery of research projects within the Scientific Programmes and external collaborations to meet their scientific objectives.
- Guide staff on a collaborative journey of a continual improvement approach to the services offered, ensuring a culture of understanding requirements, providing excellent service and high-quality delivery.
- Drive the development and adoption of new operational approaches and services and influence new ways of working.
- Foster a supportive and inclusive environment in which staff work collectively to share ideas and resources, communicate clearly and generate innovative, results-driven solutions.
- Deputise for the Head of Cellular and Sample Management Operations in specific and agreed circumstances with assigned delegated authority to make decisions and represent Cellular Operations where appropriate.
About the team
We are a core team within Scientific Operations, responsible for providing cell and molecular biology resource and expertise to the wider institute. We do this by running multiple, diverse projects for various faculty teams to enable world-leading research. Our current portfolio of services includes Cellular Screening, Gene Editing, Cellular Generation, Spatial Transcriptomics, Flow cytometry and Bioresource.
- Significant, demonstrable experience in Leading and supporting operational delivery in a large-scale organisation
- Detailed knowledge of operational management practices (e.g. capacity planning, inventory management, quality management, process improvement)
- Experience in project management with demonstrable success in delivering a number of projects on time, in budget and to agreed quality standards
- Experience of successfully managing a diverse range of individuals and teams through both line management and matrix management structures
- Demonstrable evidence of coaching others successfully
- Experience in successfully managing change and rapidly shifting priorities
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to influence and persuade diverse audiences
- A flexible and service-orientated attitude
- Proven ability to deliver high quality solutions within fixed timelines
- Be a champion for equality, diversity and inclusion, and work collaboratively with a range of different stakeholders
- Highly developed communication skills with experience of dealing with people at all levels successfully
- Highly developed skills and experience in situational leadership
- Excellent Relationship builder
- Work independently whilst contributing to wider team
- Strategic thinking skills, Ability to see the ‘bigger picture’
- Knowledge and experience of cell biology
- Familiarity with Regulatory requirements for Human samples/tissue
Please include a Cover Letter with your application, detailing your motivation for applying for this role and any other relevant information that is not on your CV.
Please complete the questions in the application form as these will be used in the shortlisting process. We will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis; therefore, applications may close before the deadline.