As part of the Materials and Applied Surface Science group, you will play an integral role in developing new sequencing and array technologies and related applications. You will be working with cutting edge/ early stage technology and help to continue improving human lives in the process
Based at our European Headquarters just south of Cambridge on Granta Park we require a Scientist with to join our Advanced Science department on a permanent basis. You will have the opportunity of working within a team where innovation takes place, you will work on new ideas, cutting edge technology, early-stage development, and much more. After technology innovation and maturation, supporting transfer to product development is also expected. Weekly communication with the US and occasional travel to the US are expected for this role.
As part of the Materials and Applied Surface Science group, you will play an integral role in developing new sequencing and array technologies and related applications. As the company moves fast so does the technology we use, the candidate will have to be adaptable to a wide range of techniques and methods used in life-sciences.
This opportunity would suit a materials or polymer chemist that is looking for a chance to join an organisation that is on the cutting edge of biological assay surface chemistry. The post holder can expect a highly innovative environment with global collaboration and top of the range tools and hardware.
- Ability to work on novel materials design, polymer synthesis and chemistry, with experience in controlled polymerization techniques (RAFT, ATRP, NMP, anionic…)
- Experience in organic chemistry would be beneficial
- Experience with lipid / polymeric membranes formation
- Understanding of lipid and/or polymeric membranes (composition, formation, stability) chemistry to support membrane protein-based biosensor
- Modification of glass/ polymer surfaces for post functionalization
- Experience with a wide range of standard analytical technique (NMR, GPC, contact angle, SEM, AFM…)
- Understanding of microfluidics, fluorescence-based assays, and fundamentals of DNA (bio)chemistry
- Proven track record in rational, hypothesis based experimental design, execution, and data analysis.
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Be comfortable working in a collaborative team
- Available to travel to the US up to 1 month per year if needed
Preferred background, skills and experience
Candidate would ideally need to hold a first degree in Polymer Chemistry or Materials Science. We require candidates to hold a PhD and a few years’ (industrial or academic) experience (0-2 years) in Polymer Chemistry/lipid or polymeric membranes is desirable. Knowledge in the field of surface characterization would be an advantage.
This opportunity would suit a candidate with a PhD and some post doctorate experience ideally in Materials or Polymer Science, looking for a chance to join an organization that is on the cutting edge of biological assay surface chemistry. The post holder can expect a highly innovative environment with global collaboration and top of the range tools and hardware. The successful candidate can expect an engaging scientific environment working with international multi-functional teams. If you have a passion to stretch technology and continuously looking to improve and create new technology your new role is here…
What can you expect;
With Illumina you can expect a highly competitive salary accompanied by a market leading benefits package. You will be part of the global leader in the Sequencing industry where you will find robust growth opportunities and career development within Illumina.
Our team members are bright, energetic, and dedicated—they are the driving force behind our innovation and impact. To attract the best and brightest, we offer a competitive employee benefits program. We view it as a smart investment in our people, one that recognizes the tremendous value they bring to our business every day. At Illumina, we push boundaries. We think beyond the conventional. We dream big. With the energy of so many bright and accomplished people, the opportunities are endless.