We are seeking a talented and experienced individual to join our organization as a Principal Data Scientist and Statistician, leading and managing our Information Science group. This group comprises of our Algorithm and Machine Learning Team, Biostatistics Team, and Informatics Team. In this role, you will be responsible for driving the success of our Information Science initiatives, providing leadership, and fostering growth and collaboration within the team.
Working arrangement: We offer a hybrid working environment from our offices based on the Cambridge Science Park. We believe that collaboration is fostered with both time in and out of the office, with most employees being onsite 3-4 days per week. Please discuss your flexible working arrangements with us during the interview process.
Leadership and Line Management:
- Lead and manage the Information Science Group, including the Algorithm and Machine Learning Team, Biostatistics Team, and Informatics Team.
- Provide guidance, mentorship, and support to team members, fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and excellence.
- Set clear performance objectives, conduct regular performance evaluations, and provide feedback to enhance team members' growth and development.
- Ensure effective utilization of resources, proper workload distribution, and efficient project management within the group.
Strategy and Planning:
- Identify opportunities for leveraging algorithm development, machine learning, statistical modelling, and informatics to drive innovation and advance our data-driven initiatives.
- Stay updated with the latest advancements in the fields of data science, statistics, and informatics to guide the team's technical direction and ensure best practices.
Project Oversight and Technical Expertise:
- Oversee the execution of complex projects within the Algorithm and Machine Learning, Biostatistics, and Informatics domains.
- Provide technical leadership and expertise in data science methodologies, statistical modelling, machine learning, and informatics.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to define project requirements, deliverables, and timelines, ensuring successful project outcomes.
Growth and Collaboration:
- Develop and execute a growth and development plan for team members, identifying training needs, organizing workshops, and fostering knowledge sharing.
- Encourage continuous learning and professional development within the team, promoting the acquisition of new skills and knowledge.
- Foster collaboration and cross-functional partnerships within the Information Science Group and with other teams, promoting interdisciplinary approaches and knowledge exchange.
Stakeholder Management and Communication:
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization to understand business objectives, define analytical requirements, and deliver impactful insights.
- Act as a trusted advisor to key stakeholders, providing guidance and recommending data-driven solutions to drive business success.
- Effectively communicate complex analytics concepts and insights to non-technical stakeholders, facilitating informed decision-making.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Advanced degree (Ph.D. preferred) in Data Science, Statistics, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Extensive experience in data science, statistical modelling, machine learning, scripting/programming and advanced analytics.
- Proven experience in leading and managing a team of data scientists or analysts.
- Strong technical skills in programming (Python, R, or similar), statistical analysis, and machine learning algorithms.
- Proficiency in data visualization and statistical software.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities, with a record of delivering actionable insights from complex data.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with stakeholders at all levels.
Join our dynamic team and lead the way in advanced analytics and data science, driving growth, development, and line management within our organization. Apply your expertise to make a meaningful impact on our business outcomes and contribute to our success.
About Owlstone Medical
Owlstone Medical is on a mission to save 100,000 lives and $1.5 billion in healthcare costs through the development and application of Breath Biopsy®. This involves collecting volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and respiratory droplets from breath, which can provide information about metabolic activity and markers related to health and disease.
Breath sampling has substantial advantages for the early detection of disease and to enable precision medicine approaches to patient care. To realize these advantages, Owlstone Medical offers Research Products and Services for biomarker discovery and is developing tests in applications including cancer, liver disease, asthma, and environmental exposure. Our work includes partnerships with major organizations including AstraZeneca, GlaxoSmithKline, the Cleveland Clinic, and the NHS and our platform is in use at well over 100 clinical and academic sites worldwide.
Our leadership in breath is underpinned by our world-class and varied team, including systems engineers, clinical scientists, analytical chemists, artificial intelligence specialists and clinical trials coordinators.
The Owlstone group also commercializes a range of highly innovative products based on its proprietary FAIMS chemical sensing technology in other markets including Scientific, Industrial Process Control, Military and Homeland Defense.
We offer a relaxed, friendly, flexible and international working environment with a strong and vibrant team-spirit. You will be rewarded with a competitive salary package that includes an Employee share options scheme and private medical insurance and your work will have a clear impact on people’s lives. If you want to experience the buzz of a thriving start-up company set to succeed on a global scale, Owlstone Medical could be the place for you.
Owlstone is an equal opportunity employer, and we will consider all qualified applicants for employment without discrimination on any characteristic protected by law including but not exhaustive to; grounds of disability, sex or sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status.
Due to the nature of our business, all employment is subject to satisfactory references being obtained and the attainment of a Baseline Personnel Security Standard (BPSS) check. Access to selected project information requires prior additional security authorization. Access to US technical data by employees requires prior Export Control function approval. Full clearance must be satisfactorily attained against all applicable project security and US export control authorisations. Failure to meet any reference, BPSS, project-security or export-control authorisations may have an impact on successfully completing your probationary period.
Notice to agencies
Owlstone Medical Ltd politely requests no contact from recruitment agencies or media sales. We don’t accept speculative CVs from recruitment agencies nor accept the fees associated with them.