Process Control Engineer
Location: Macclesfield, UK
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being ambitious, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our person.
At 100 acres Macclesfield is AstraZeneca's largest manufacturing site and UK campus with a variety of work environments including laboratories, factories and offices. We are currently undergoing an ambitious campus redevelopment driven by AstraZeneca’s pipeline and grounded in our three core key value propositions – Chemistry, Packing and Complex Parenterals.
If you are a self-motivated and experienced engineer with a background in automation & control looking for your next challenge, this fantastic opportunity to develop within Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT&D) at AstraZeneca could be for you.
We are looking for someone who will supervise multiple Pilot Plant and Large Scale Lab facilities to support the development of new life changing medicines at our dynamic Macclesfield campus. You'll establish, lead and improve automation and control systems, to satisfy manufacturing and compliance demands within Pharmaceutical Technology and Development (PT&D at Macclesfield.
The Process Control / Automation Engineer role is engaging and varied, and requires expertise in many areas – some of which you may already have – but some which we can develop with via mentoring; and we have an associated programme as a route into the full role. Continued Professional Development to achieve chartered engineer status is encouraged.
AstraZeneca encourages diversity, and the wide-ranging nature of the position opens it up to a number of backgrounds, for example:
- GAMP5 Computerised Systems validation specialist
- IT/OT professional with experience of supporting factory systems
- Maintenance Technician with automation experience, e.g. PLC, Drives, Robotics
- Project Engineer with V model lifecycle experience and specification suite delivery
- Project Manager with automation delivery experience to GAMP5
- SQL and VB developer with database admin experience of factory automation data
- System Integrator or OEM software coder of PLC/SCADA systems
Longer term, this role offers several different career development routes, with options to continue in technical and project roles, or move into other areas of Operations or the wider business.
Sustaining and improving automation and control system performance, to enable enhanced development and delivery of new medicines to patients.
Deliver all aspects of automation and control system performance whilst adhering to SHE (Safety, Health and Environment), GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) & Financial regulatory, statutory and company standards.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Project management of small projects including qualification, technical and business change management and budgetary control
- Support larger capital projects providing technical expertise during the design, implementation, commissioning and qualification
- Adhere and maintain computerised system compliance
- Delivering authoritative support to automation system faults and to quality incidents related to automated system functionality, leading to Deviation and CAPA ownership
- Whilst maintaining Data Integrity, generation of data from control systems to support digital transformation and data analytics
- Information Technology to Operational Technology interaction & support, including patching and vulnerabilities, planning and handling IT service weekends
- Use of Lean techniques, such as problem solving and Tier reporting, feeding into Total Productive Maintenance
- Delivery of automation system coaching to technical and non-technical staff, including Engineering Technicians and Operating Teams. Mentoring of peers in your areas of expertise, and being a mentee to learn from others.
- Underpinning knowledge of GMP factory automation
- Experience of automation and control systems within a process manufacturing environment e.g. PLC, SCADA, , Data Historian, Process Analytical Technology (PAT), Industrial Networks.
- Ability to work creatively within the compliance and lean frameworks, to engage with stakeholders and to deliver value for the business
- Relevant professional qualifications e.g. Degree, HNC/HND within a relevant subject field and relevant work experience in a similar role or regulated industry
- A member of a relevant engineering institution
- Problem solving and trouble-shooting the resolution of automation and control system issues
- Experience of PLC programming or high-level coding, along with the ability to create and understand various software design methodologies
- Automation/Computerised systems lifecycle management in line with current GAMP5 standards
- Automation document lifecycle including: URS, DQ, IQ, OQ documents
- Knowledge of Siemens S7, Emerson DeltaV, Eurotherm, TIA Portal, WinCC systems
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.