RAND Europe has offices in Brussels and Cambridge, and employs approximately 130 researchers: just over half of our research staff have doctorates with the balance holding other post-graduate degrees. Our work lies on the continuum between that of universities and consultancies, combining the academic rigour of universities and the professional, task orientated approach of consultancies. In addition to our strong ethos of evidence-based research, RAND Europe is a values-driven organisation, and our experience shows that our most successful researchers closely align their behaviours with our value set.
This is an exciting opportunity to work with a truly multidisciplinary team in one of the world’s most respected public policy research organisations. The role is ideally suited to an individual who is committed to applying high quality methods and analysis to policy and decision-making.
We wish to recruit an exceptional candidate at Research Analyst level to grow our team of social policy researchers. As a Research Analyst you will address complex policy questions by conducting research and analysis on behalf of our clients and support the team in submitting proposals and managing and delivering multiple projects in a timely and accurate manner. We are particularly looking for a candidate with experience in the field of education and/or early years.
The Home Affairs and Social Policy Research Group undertakes research and analysis in a range of important public policy areas, including education, employment and social policy, and crime and justice . We have an extensive portfolio of work with the EU, national governments, charitable foundations and others. We collaborate widely with like-minded academic and other organisations across Europe and with colleagues based in RAND’s U.S. offices. We are well known for our use of robust methods and our ability to offer multi-disciplinary perspectives.
Fluency in English is essential. Proficiency in one or more EU language would be an advantage.
See key responsibilities, skills and experience and qualifications for this position outlined below.
- Manage projects, with some supervision, including monitoring budget, timetable and deliverables, delegating work and providing feedback
- Deliver high-quality research by:
- Draft data collection tools
- Conduct literature reviews
- Conduct interviews or focus groups
- Undertake analysis of quantitative and qualitative data
- Prepare presentations and research briefs
- Draft sections of reports with minimal supervision
- Maintain day-to-day contact with collaborators, clients and funders
- Contribute to impact by identifying opportunities for communication of research findings
- Analyse calls for tender to identify proposal requirements and help organise responses
- Manage small proposals
- Draft sections of proposals
- Support business development activities
- Support strategic corporate initiatives
- Ad hoc duties as required.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
- Relevant experience in similar role
- Topic expertise in any of the followingeducation, early years, schools, teaching and learning
- Knowledge and experience of different methodologies and their application
- Some knowledge and experience of research design
- Report writing, preferably for policymaker audiences
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Fluency in English – essential
- Proficiency in other languages – desired
- Intermediate Word
- Intermediate Excel
- Intermediate PowerPoint
- PhD in a social science, public policy or related discipline (or be close to finishing a PhD)
- Equivalent relevant experience in applied social science research.
- 8% Employer pension contributions
- BUPA medical insurance
- 33 days holiday allowance, including the Bank Holidays
- Enhanced family friendly policies
- Flexible working arrangements
- Group income protection scheme
- Group life assurance
- Compassionate leave
- Fresh fruit every day
- Free parking
- Cycle to work scheme
- Company bikes
- Discounted gym membership
- Employee wellbeing training and support
How to Apply
Please submit an application via RAND Europe’s online careers portal comprising (i) your CV, (ii) covering letter and (iii) short writing sample in English (up to 3 pages, aimed at a non-technical audience), which will all need to be submitted as one document.
The deadline for applications is Friday 7th July 2022.