You will come from a strong health and safety background and experience in a life science environment is also desirable but not essential. You will have ideally lead the development, planning, and implementation of environmental, health, and safety programs across the EMEA region. Additionally, you thrive working in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with fast global business growth. Knowledge and experience in the implementation of EHS Management systems is also advantageous.
Like you, we know the importance of your role and offer you a collaborative and supportive environment in which you are actively encouraged to continually develop your own skills and knowledge.
If you want to push boundaries and join a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration, and openness, this role could be for you. If you want a brilliant, fast-paced, mission-driven environment, then Illumina is the place for you.
Working alongside the EHS Specialist Team, the Senior EHS Specialist is responsible for leading the development, planning, and implementation of environmental, health, and safety policies and procedures including occupational safety programs, environmental programs, and EH&S Sustainability across EMEA.
Responsibilities will include:
- Lead and document risk assessments, incident investigations, and other occupational safety programs.
- Act as the EHS expert for facilities changes, moves, and enhancements in conformance with local building/fire codes.
- Liaison between location and local regulatory agencies.
- Other responsibilities may include interpretation, planning, auditing, and information systems evaluation and implementation.
- Partner with site/region functional areas to implement methods, programs, controls, processes, and safeguards that promote a safe work environment and engage all employees in the safety and sustainability programs.
- Lead on assigned EHS programs in a fast-paced, cross-functional, and highly collaborative environment and in line with applicable local legislation and Illumina policy.
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to solve EHS related challenges and reduce risk related to workplace and remote worker activities.
- Promote, reinforce, and sustain a strong safety culture through engagement with site leadership and operational teams
- Develop and deliver EHS training and coaching programs which help develop strong EHS leaders.
- Develop and deliver EHS compliance training programs
- Investigate hazards, near misses, and incidents with the goal of finding root causes and implementing ways to prevent recurrence. Ensure investigations are effectively managed to closure
- Assist in the implementation of EHS management system elements
- Interface with regulatory agencies on assigned EHS matters
- Provide technical expertise and guidance to solve EHS related challenges
- Conduct risk assessments to control and reduce safety hazards and risk of injury or chemical release. Ensure Risk Assessments are effectively conducted for new processes, product development processes, new equipment, or modifications in existing processes
- Support site safety committees, emergency response teams, and Operational Excellence activities
- Provide effective Incident Response and follow-up incident response may involve support outside of normal business hours.
- Support safety inspection programs
- Support the rollout of safety culture and grassroots safety programs
- Support the rollout of new safety databases and software tools
- Responsible for the implementation and ongoing maintenance of environmental, health, and safety prevention and compliance programs.
Preferred background, skills, and experience:
- Proven track record of working within a similar role.
- Experience in a broad range of health and safety programs
- Knowledge of scientific principles and concepts is essential.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, fast-changing environment.
- Strong desire to champion EHS excellence throughout Illumina
- Experience with enterprise EHS software systems design, process, communication, and implementation
- A solid technical understanding of equipment and processes used in the life science industry and a solid understanding of applying EHS regulations/standards/assessments
- Ability to support EHS programs in a fast-paced, dynamic, cross-functional, and highly collaborative environment.
- Solid understanding of applying EHS and Environmental regulations/standards
- Experience in ISO management systems is a plus.
- Experience building strong partnerships with employees and developing a safety culture that is integrated throughout all levels of the organization
- Strong teamwork skills across a team operating globally
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organizational skills
- Experience in IVD/Med Device/Life Sciences industry is a plus
- Effective educator and strong ability to interact with and influence all levels of the organization
- Effective leadership, presentation, and persuasion skills
- Ability to prioritize and execute work among competing priorities
- Ability to solve moderate scope of EHS problems where analysis of situations or data requires a review of a variety of factors.
- Exercises judgment within defined procedures and practices to determine appropriate action. Builds productive internal/external working relationships.
- Understands the key business drivers; uses this knowledge in own work.
Preferred Educational Background:
- NEBOSH Diploma (fully qualified or studying towards) is highly desirable.
What can you expect?
With Illumina, you can expect a highly competitive salary accompanied by a market-leading benefits package. You will be part of the global leader in the Sequencing industry where you will find robust growth opportunities and career development within Illumina.
Our team members are bright, energetic, and dedicated - they are the driving force behind our innovation and impact. To attract the best and brightest, we offer a competitive employee benefits program. We view it as a smart investment in our people, one that recognizes the tremendous value they bring to our business every day. At Illumina, we push boundaries. We think beyond the conventional. We dream big. With the energy of so many bright and accomplished people, the opportunities are endless.