This is a new programme of activity, which works across all Schools. The aim of the research grants and collaborations is to develop innovative, integrated and interdisciplinary responses to climate challenges and to help shape Africa's future through the development of research and innovation for the next generation. The role holder is expected to be proactive and manage their own workload effectively. The role holder will design, deliver and coordinate a range of activities including: administering competitions for funding; raising awareness of funding opportunities to increase engagement with research users and academics in the University of Cambridge; advising academics and researchers on the African continent on likely partners to build strong research collaborations with. The role will involve liaison with academics and researchers at all levels, as well as with other University offices ¿ for example the Research Operations Office, Legal Services.
Delivery of Activity
· Plan and implement delivery of activity as agreed with the Director of Cambridge-Africa in liaison with the Programme Director for the Collaborative .
· Coordinate internal competitions for funding based on existing processes where appropriate, and develop new processes where required.
· Manage all aspects of the peer review process to support the delivery of the range of grant schemes funded under the research workstream.
· Act as a point of contact for all enquiries related to the scheme, developing and adapting processes in response as the scheme develops.
· Collaborate with teams across the University, from the Research Operations Office to the departments in receipt of the funding, to ensure the successful delivery of the research grants and collaborations.
· Design and deliver training where required, for example to panel members.
Monitoring and reporting
· Plan and facilitate monitoring and evaluation of activities and coordinate reporting to stakeholders.
· Analyze information and produce activity reports.
· Maintain funding allocation and expenditure records.
· Monitor project expenditure against agreed deadlines.
· Produce reports on funds allocation, expenditure to date and forecasts.
· Plan and prepare content for relevant webpages and maintain with up to date information.
· Maintain an email mailing list and send out news, updates and funding calls.
· Publicize events, including information sessions on the grants schemes and the programme of funded workshops.
· Coordinate communications plans with other colleagues.
· Raise awareness of funding opportunities through internal networks.
· Showcase impactful research on external communication channels (where relevant).
· Provide continuity and support for the development of the grants funded, and track their outcomes.
· Act as Secretary to the review panels that allocate the funding. This role will include the development of new cross-disciplinary peer review processes to support the breath of the activity being funded.
· Provide information and recommendations to internal governance mechanisms (as required).
· Work closely with the team to plan and implement activity aligned with strategic priorities of the Collaborative.
Fixed-term: The funds for this post are available for 4 years in the first instance.
Applications are welcome from internal candidates who would like to apply for the role on the basis of a secondment from their current role in the University.
Click the 'Apply' button below to register an account with our recruitment system (if you have not already) and apply online.
Informal queries about this post should be directed to Tabitha Mwangi, Director of the Mastercard Foundation Collaborative at Tabitha.Mwangi@admin.cam.ac.uk
Questions about the application process should be addressed to Lauren Taylor, HR Coordinator at Lauren.Taylor@admin.cam.ac.uk
Please quote reference AK40337 on your application and in any correspondence about this vacancy.
The University actively supports equality, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from all sections of society.
The University has a responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to live and work in the UK.