⚡️ WHY ALTIUM?
Altium is transforming the way electronics are designed and built. From startups to world’s technology giants, our digital platforms give more power to PCB designers, supply chain, and manufacturing, letting them collaborate as never before.
- Constant innovation has created a transformative technology, unique in its space
- More than 30,000 companies and 100,000 electronics engineers worldwide use Altium
- We are growing, debt-free, and financially strong, with the resources to become #1 in the EDA industry
Join us on a mission of innovation as we are fundamentally changing the way electronics-based products are being created. Since 1985, Altium has led the development, marketing, and sales of several of the world’s most popular Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design software tools — but that’s just the starting point for what we aim to do.
Our R&D team in Cambridge is responsible for Altium’s Nexar API, connecting our Altium 365 cloud design platform to a global ecosystem of third party products and services. We are also building Octopart, the leading electronic part search engine that is the industry’s go-to tool for quickly searching through millions of components worldwide. And our Spectra tool provides insights and intelligence to a broad range of electronics industry customers.
- This role is based in our Cambridge Science Park offices with flexibility to work up to two days per week from home.
- The R&D team is over 35 people, based mainly around Cambridge, but also with staff in the United States and Europe. Altium has over 1,000 employees globally.
- You will be a member of a cross-functional team of up to nine people, including other software engineers, and will report to a software engineering manager.
- You will join other software engineers to collaborate on ways of working and improve the developer experience across the team.
- You have experience of building platforms for mid-size and enterprise customers.
- You have worked in a highly technical, growing software company.
- Collaborates with other engineers through paired programming or mobbing sessions.
- Champions code quality and maintainability standards such as clean code, testing ownership (you build it, you own it) and documentation
- Mentors and share knowledge with other engineers.
- Drives implementations and improvements from a data-first approach.
- Considers both developer experience and user experience when implementing solutions.
- Builds and improves upon our Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery pipeline.
- Recognises approaches that align with a Data As A Service (DaaS) business model.
- Implement and explain complex design patterns.
These are our expectations of a Senior Software Engineer at Altium:
- In addition to having experience with Python, you will experience across different programming languages and frameworks.
- You should also be comfortable with learning new languages and technologies.
- Experience with database technologies, such as SQL, nSQL, and GraphQL implementations
- Thorough understanding of data ingestion and processes for extraction, loading, and transformation.
- Understand system design and be able to have architecture discussions.
- Uses metrics and ways of working to continuously improve, prioritize, and optimize delivery
- A champion for engineering excellence such as code quality, maintenance, and documentation.
- Understands the importance of data integrity, reliability and availability and able to apply design practices to data design and delivery.
If you are excited by our mission and your values match what we are looking for, please apply to our hiring team. We believe in being transparent about our interview process, below:
- The first stage is a phone call with our internal talent team to ask about your experience and to make sure we’re a good fit for each other.
- Next is a one-hour video interview with your future manager who will dig deeper into your experience and assess how you align to the role. They will ask for examples to illustrate your answers.
- You will then have a one-hour technical assessment via a video call with two software engineers from our team. They will send details of the test ahead of time.
- Finally you will have a final 45-minute interview with a product manager and HR director VP of Engineering to assess alignment with our team and company values.
- 🏥 Private health insurance via Axa (+ subsidized family cover)
- 🌅 Pension scheme via Aviva, matched up to 9% of salary
- 🧘 Mental health and wellbeing support via Nilo.health
- 📚 Professional development of up to £3,500 per year
- 🏖️ 28 days' holiday + public holidays
- Home internet allowance of £40 per month
- 🥪 Free lunch, snacks and drinks every day in office
- 🚗 Free parking at our Cambridge office
🎯 WHAT MATTERS TO US
- BIG-THINKING in pursuit of purpose
- DIVERSITY of thought
- COURAGE of conviction
- TRANSPARENCY of intent
- INGENUITY of AND
- AGILITY in action
- ADAPTABILITY of approach
- GRIT in pursuit of mission
🌍 ALSO, WE WOULD LIKE YOU TO KNOW
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
💡 LEARN MORE ABOUT WHY A CAREER AT ALTIUM IS AN OPPORTUNITY LIKE NO OTHER: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAYCOLpPLPE
✈️ ALTIUM BENEFITS: https://careers.altium.com/#s-benefits
👏 ARE YOU ALREADY AN ALTIUM EMPLOYEE? Please apply directly through our internal Greenhouse job board. If you have questions, please contact HR.