⚡️ WHY ALTIUM?
Altium is transforming the way electronics are designed and built. From startups to world’s technology giants, our digital platforms give more power to PCB designers, supply chain, and manufacturing, letting them collaborate as never before.
- Constant innovation has created a transformative technology, unique in its space
- More than 30,000 companies and 100,000 electronics engineers worldwide use Altium
- We are growing, debt-free, and financially strong, with the resources to become #1 in the EDA industry
We’re looking for an engineering manager who has strong people, delivery and technical skills to join us at Altium and build a motivated, high-performing team that delivers value to real customers.
You've been working as an engineering manager for at least three years, delivering software with your team as part of a larger engineering organization. You have a strong sense of empathy, build trust and provide clarity around your team's mission to enable you to succeed together.
Join us on a mission of innovation as we are fundamentally changing the way electronics-based products are being created. Since 1985, Altium has led the development, marketing, and sales of several of the world’s most popular Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design software tools — but that’s just the starting point for what we aim to do.
Our R&D team in Cambridge is responsible for Altium’s Nexar API, connecting our Altium 365 cloud design platform to a global ecosystem of third party products and services. We are also building Octopart, the leading electronic part search engine that is the industry’s go-to tool for quickly searching through millions of components worldwide. And our Spectra tool provides insights and intelligence to a broad range of electronics industry customers.
- This role is based in our Cambridge Science Park offices with flexibility to work up to three days per week from home.
- The R&D team is over 35 people, based mainly around Cambridge, but also with staff in the United States and Europe. Altium has over 1,000 employees globally.
- You will manage a cross-functional team of up to nine people, including backend and frontend software engineers, and will report to the VP Product & Engineering.
- In partnership with your team’s product manager, you will define, plan and prioritise work that provides measurable value for customers.
- You will join other engineering managers to collaborate on ways of working and improve the developer experience across the team.
- You will not be expected to code, but you should have enough technical experience to be able to articulate and reason at a high level. You have previously worked as a software engineer.
- You have experience of building platforms for mid-size and enterprise customers.
- You have worked in a highly technical, growing software company.
- Your experience includes working as a Scrum Master or Agile coach.
These are our expectations of an engineering manager at Altium, grouped by the three pillars of the role:
- Regular 1:1s, goal-setting, reviews, promotion planning
- Helps team members grow
- Gives specific, actionable feedback
- Guides the culture for their team
- Helps team resolve conflicts
- Builds high-performing teams
- Defines team’s purpose and values
- Fosters relationships
- Creates a safe and inclusive environment
- Celebrates successes
- Hires carefully
- Accountable for team’s work
- Runs sprint planning, sizing, prioritisation
- Runs regular retrospectives, check-ins and reviews
- Aligns with other teams
- Communicates openly on progress
- Documents processes
- Sets guidelines, ways-of-working with team
- Ensures team succeeds
- Provides clarity and the big picture
- Optimizes for delivery speed
- Puts the customer first
- Drives continuous improvement
- Understands code and relevant technologies
- Uses metrics to improve
- System design knowledge
- Knows when to prioritise delivery vs maintenance
If you are excited by our mission and your values match what we are looking for, please apply to our hiring team. We believe in being transparent about our interview process, below:
- The first stage is a phone call with our internal talent team to ask about your experience and to make sure we’re a good fit for each other.
- Next is a one-hour video interview with your future manager who will dig deeper into your experience and assess how you align to the role. They will ask for examples to illustrate your answers.
- You will then have a one-hour technical assessment via a video call with two software engineers from our team.
- Finally you will have a final 45-minute interview with a product manager and HR director to assess alignment with our team and company values.
- 🏥 Private health insurance via Axa (+ subsidized family cover)
- 🌅 Pension scheme via Aviva, matched up to 9% of salary
- 🧘 Mental health and wellbeing support via Nilo.health
- 📚 Professional development of up to £3,500 per year
- 🏖️ 28 days' holiday + public holidays
- Home internet allowance of £40 per month
- 🥪 Free lunch, snacks and drinks every day in office
- 🚗 Free parking at our Cambridge office
🎯 WHAT MATTERS TO US
- BIG-THINKING in pursuit of purpose
- DIVERSITY of thought
- COURAGE of conviction
- TRANSPARENCY of intent
- INGENUITY of AND
- AGILITY in action
- ADAPTABILITY of approach
- GRIT in pursuit of mission