Surgical Robotics Expert (Senior Consultant) - Mechatronics and systems group, medical technology division
Cambridge Consultants offers advanced product development, technical and regulatory advisory services and is founded on science and technology inventiveness. We are a multinational, fee-for-service organization comprised of top-class engineers, designers, scientists, regulatory advisors, and market experts who thrive on curiosity, problem solving, and genuine interactions.
Our Medical Technology Division is seeking a commercially astute senior technologist to help us grow our surgical robotics and advanced surgical systems practice. As part of our continuing business growth we are expanding our medical robotics team in our Cambridge UK office, and offering this complex, interesting position combining business acumen, clinical understanding, and technical experience.
We need entrepreneurial, motivated, success-oriented team players who are looking to roll up their sleeves and help build our medical technology practice globally; this role will require tenacity, patience and focus as you build new and meaningful client relationships, collaborating closely with our colleagues from around the globe.
You will be an ideal candidate if you have direct experience developing complex surgical robotics systems with a background in mechatronics, system design, and system architecture, and are interested in building a pipeline of business in the advanced surgical sector for a fee-for-service organization. You have a deep understanding of technology, regulated product development, and relevant market trends and are passionate about helping clients realize business transformation through technology. You are accustomed to working with both well-established blue-chip organizations as well as startups and are comfortable in client facing presentations and projects.
We have great benefits, including supporting a priority towards maintaining a healthy work life balance and a commitment to personalized career development through tailored professional training and mentoring.
- Technical Team Leadership: Effectively collaborate with Program Management to oversee the day-to-day activities of the project team. Using analysis and experimentation to interpret clinical requirements, derive technical feasibility, and negotiate design tradeoffs to guide system concepts, architecture development and detailed design. Mentor technical team members.
- Client Engagement: Effectively articulate our core capabilities and competencies, build rapport and distill the right technology and program approach to best meet their needs and deliver high value.
- New Business: Prospect and identify companies that are good potential clients and proactively network to establish initial contact, acquire new client relationships, attend industry meetings and conferences
- Advanced degree in a technical, engineering, or a science discipline
- Experience with the design and commercialization of Class II and III electromechanical and software systems including working knowledge of ISO 13485 and IEC 62304
- Design leadership for complex surgical systems (e.g. robotics platforms, hyperspectral imaging, ultrasound, diagnostics or machine learning)
- Experience managing multi-disciplinary technical teams across multiple locations (ideally globally)
- Demonstrate ability to navigate trade-offs across major technical approaches in a solution agnostic manner
- Translate business and clinical needs into technical requirements
- Familiarity with medical technology trends and demonstrated thought leadership including publications in industry journals or presentations at industry conferences
- Great collaboration, communication and problem-solving skills
- Experience in a fee-for-service organization and consultative selling for engineering services
- Technical knowledge of one or more of the following: advanced algorithm design, kinematics and motion planning, computer vision, advanced imaging, surgical navigation
- Clinical understanding of one or more of the following: general surgery, urology, gynecology, ophthalmology, orthopaedics, or cardiothoracic surgery
- PhD in robotics or related discipline
- Deep knowledge of robot manipulator kinematics and dynamics
- Matlab and either C++ (preferred) or python programming skills
- Experience with ROS