School for Scale-Ups Programme
Module 1 - Personal Leadership - Roles and Responsibilities
This module is designed to help leaders understand their role and its responsibilities. It provides a platform for developing the most critical skills required of a leader and manager. In particular:
- Understanding and managing new relationships
- Motivating and empowering your teams
- Delegation, managing workloads and personal resilience
- Managing day-to-day team issues whilst managing your own day job
- Building a ‘tool-kit’ of techniques and skills to use in your new role.
This module will start with a dinner and talk on leadership and scaling up from a well-known Cambridge business leader and investor.
Module 2 - Effective Communication
Poor communication is at the root of many problems, not just in the workplace. This workshop will help leaders understand their own communication style, the essentials of good communication and develop confidence to communicate effectively.
By the end of the workshop leaders will
- better understand the essential ingredients of effective communication
- understand their own communication style
- have developed their own communication skills
- have gained confidence in how to effectively influence others and receive feedback.
Optional: personality profiling.
Module 3 - Project Management
You may be developing new services or products, or making changes. You probably need to make effective use of multi-disciplinary project teams to deliver your business strategy.
This module covers the key roles, managing expectations, and motivations to deliver to plan. It will introduce some monitoring tools and techniques for project team meetings, managing change during a project and how to report on progress.
- Understand the principles of project management and how to apply them
- Apply some of the key tools and techniques involved in project working
- Be confident to lead projects to successful completion.
You will meet an effective project manager for a Q&A session during this module.
Modules 4 & 5 - Managing Performance
Day 1 - Encouraging High Performance
Support of high performance underpins the achievement of individual and team objectives. Competence and commitment, formal, informal contracts and reciprocation don’t happen by themselves. The workshop focuses on building and encouraging a high performance culture.
- Principles and benefits of performance management
- Skills and process needed to build a high performance culture
- Understanding characteristics of a high performing team.
Day 2 - Dealing with Poor Performance
Poor performance can be a huge cost for businesses. If left unchallenged it will affect individual and team morale, and productivity. This workshop focuses on dealing effectively with poor performance.
- Identifying the problem and taking action, whilst managing conflict effectively
- Use and benefit of performance improvement discussions
- Familiarity with the legal framework for poor performance
- Understanding when and how to use the formal grievance and disciplinary process.
Pre-work - The Thomas Kilman Conflict Questionnaire
Module 6 - Effective Influencing
Influencing is not necessarily about getting your own way. It is about being able confidently to put something across in a way that others will hear and act upon. For instance:
- How do I resist always saying yes when I want to say no?
- How do I say what I really think without causing conflict?
- How do I gain more control in situations that are important to me?
This workshop is about understanding how to be more influential when you need to be. By the end of the workshop you will:
- Understand and know how to use assertive behaviour to influence others
- Know when and how to be more assertive
- Be more aware of the difficult people situations and how to respond to others
- Be able to build a persuasive case to help influence others.
Module 7 - Picking a Winning Team
Finding the right person for your business is a key skill in Cambridge’s competitive market. Everyone is looking for the genius with the required skills who is also a good cultural fit.
This workshop is designed to equip managers with skills and techniques they can use to conduct effective recruitment interviews which identify candidates that fit the company culture you aspire to. We will also cover the legal framework and pitfalls to avoid.
- Behavioural competency-based interviewing
- Aligning the essential criteria and required experience with the job and person spec
- Preparing for and structuring the interview and managing the time available
- Giving feedback after the interview, including recommendation on hiring
- Winning the candidates you want.
Module 8 - Negotiation
Negotiation is often about understanding and exchanging priorities, resources and deliverables to achieve your ultimate goals. Getting to a deal that all parties commit to.
- The underpinning principles
- Some techniques to help you trade concessions and create a win/win outcome
- What you can do when the other side plays games.
You will get to practice the techniques in a number of scenarios and a real world situation of your choosing, with coaching and feedback.
Module 9 - Effective Appraisals and Succession Planning
Appraisals can be an effective tool to help leaders assess and manage the performance and development of their staff, themselves and what they want in their ideal succession plan.
This workshop explores how to use appraisals effectively.
- Understanding the wider and long term benefits of appraisals
- Gaining confidence in using appraisals effectively
- Developing the skills needed to make appraisal a useful and positive process.
Module 10 - Coaching for Managers
Coaching is one of the most effective methods of employee development – both in terms of cost and effectiveness. This workshop provides a ‘starter pack’ for coaching.
- Understand what coaching is, the benefits of coaching and when to use it
- Clarify the coaching relationship and to understand your own coaching style
- Gain an understanding of the coaching process and essential coaching skills.
Participants will have met different coaches during the programme and can now learn how to help get the best from the rest of their teams.
Module 11 - Managing Change
Every business – yours or your customers’ or your suppliers’ – will face change and the companies that scale up most successfully will be those best equipped to work with and deliver change effectively. This module looks at
- the change curve,
- the leader’s role in helping people be effective as the change occurs,
- anticipating conflict – myths and levels,
- introduction to the change equation,
- delivering through tipping points.
This module will include a Q&A session with a Cambridge leader who has delivered change recently.
Additional modules depending on development needs and interests
- Finance and Business Planning
- Decision Making and Governance
- The Art of Selling
- Marketing Communications
- Product Marketing
- Raising Finance
- Export and Trade Overseas
- Presentation Skills
- Business Systems for Productivity
- Peer Learning Techniques
To find out more please contact email@example.com or the Cambridge Network team on 01223 760131
This programme is CPD accredited.