In her regular series for Cambridge Network members, software training expert Karen Roem offers handy tips to help you 'Tame your computer'. This week she describes how to find and highlight all occurrences of a specific word or phrase (Microsoft Word*)...
Tame your computer - search and spot
Back in 2015 I told you about the Navigation Pane in Word, which can be used to jump around your document in several ways. You can also use it to find specific text in your document. Simply type the word or phrase you want to find and every occurrence of the word or phrase is temporarily highlighted on the screen, allowing you to quickly spot and flick through the text you were searching for. However, the highlight disappears as soon as you make any change in the document.
So what if you want to keep the highlighted text? (With thanks to Monika for this week’s tip inspiration.)
- Make sure that the insertion point is at the beginning of your document. (CTRL + Home, anyone?!)
- Click on the Replace button in the Editing group on the Home tab. (Or press CTRL + H.)
- Type the word you want to highlight in the Find what box.
- Press TAB and retype the word you want to highlight in the Replace with box.
- Click on the More button. (Or press TAB + ENTER.)
- Click on the Format button at the bottom of the dialog box and select Highlight.
- Click on the Replace All button.
- Click OK, followed by Close.
If you want to find and remove the highlighted text at some point, see tip 401.
* Unless stated otherwise, these tips were written for Microsoft Office 2010.
3 October 2016
Roem Ltd is a Learning Collaboration approved supplier, having come recommended by Cambridge Network member organisations. Network membership means you automatically have the right to book on to any LC course at any time, while some categories of membershipactually include LC training units.
Highly respected training company, specialising in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. Since 2001 we have successfully developed and delivered training courses for public and private clients, large and small, across 23 countries around the world. We feel passionate about sharing the best of what we know with others and strive to help as many people as we can.