In her regular series for Cambridge Network members, software training expert Karen Roem offers handy tips to help you 'Tame your computer'. This week she explains how to show tracked changes and comments inline instead of in balloons (Microsoft Word)...
Tame your computer - try tracking tricks
Do you track who changes what and where in your documents, using Word’s Track Changes functionality? Even if you are the only person working on the text, this can be an extremely useful tool!
You might have noticed that deletions and comments are, by default, displayed in balloons in the margins of the document. But if you prefer you can change the settings to show deletions with strikethroughs and comments inline as “ScreenTips”.
- On the Review tab, in the Tracking group, click Show Markup.
- Point to Balloons.
- Click Show All Revisions Inline.
If you want, you can even make this your default setting.
- On the Review tab, in the Tracking group, click on the Track Changes drop-down arrow (not on the button itself).
- Click on Change Tracking Options.
- Select Never from the Use Balloons (Print and Web Layout) drop-down list, or – if you prefer – Only for comments/formatting.
- Press ENTER or click OK.
With thanks to Caroline for this week’s tip inspiration.
Tip # 381: Remove - not just hide - tracked changes
Tip # 385: Inspect your document for tracked changes
Unless stated otherwise, these tips were written for Microsoft Office 2010.
29 May 2017