In her regular series for Cambridge Network members - now in its 15th year! - software training expert Karen Roem offers handy tips to help you 'Tame your computer'. This week she explains how to set the name of the person who created a file to be displayed in all folders (Windows 10).
Tame your computer - the name game
I’ve always felt it was weird that Microsoft only provides details about an item’s Name, Date Modified, Type and Size. But if you share files with your colleagues, it might be helpful to see the name of the person who created the item. I noticed that they didn’t change that in Windows 10, so for those of you who would like to change the default settings, I’ve updated and combined a few old tips.
1. Open File Explorer. (WIN+E, anyone?)
2. Open your folder or navigate to a shared drive, as normal.
3. Right-click one of the column headings, such as Date modified.
4. Select Authors from the drop-down list.
5. If you want, repeat the process and unselect any of the less helpful columns, such as Size.
6. Select the File tab and click on Change folder and search options.
7. Click on the View tab.
8. Click on the Apply to Folders button.
9. When prompted click Yes, followed by OK.
The files are sorted in alphabetical order by name. To sort and group by Author, simply click on the Authors column heading. Click it again and you can flick between sorting in ascending and descending order. To only display files created by a particular person, click on the drop-down arrow next to Authors and tick the relevant check box.
- Set all the folders on your computer to match the current folder's view settings
- Quickly change the size of your Explorer window
- Display the name of the person who saved a file
- Top ten Microsoft Windows shortcuts
Following guidance from the UK government on the COVID-19 pandemic, our classroom training at our premises in Cambridge will be suspended until at least 7 May. We continue to offer 1-hour virtual training and support sessions. Please get in touch by email or call us on 01223 214177 to discuss your requirements.
Our current course schedule can be found online. Book more than one person from your organisation on the same course, on the same date, and you get 10% off.
27 April 2020