In her regular series for Cambridge Network members - now in its 15th year - software training expert Karen Roem offers handy tips to help you 'Tame your computer'. This week she explains how to copy and summarise all meeting request responses (Microsoft Outlook).
Tame your computer - meeting matters
When you invite people to an Outlook meeting you can use the Tracking button to view the various responses.
But did you know you can easily copy and paste the text elsewhere? This way you can quickly print a list of the meeting attendees - if necessary - or summarise how many people Accepted, Declined, clicked Tentative or didn’t respond at all.
- Open the meeting request, as normal.
- On the Meeting tab, click on the Tracking button’s drop-down arrow and select Copy Status to Clipboard. (In Microsoft 365 I have a separate Tracking tab.)
You can now paste the information in, say, Word. But why not take it a step further and summarize it in Excel, using a PivotTable?
- Open Excel and press CTRL + V.
- Press CTRL + T.
- Make sure the My table has headers box is ticked and press ENTER.
- Click on the Summarize with PivotTable button on the Table Tools Design tab.
- Press ENTER to put the summary on a New Worksheet or click on the Existing Worksheet radio button and click on a cell in the current sheet where you want the report to be placed.
- In the PivotTable Field List on the right hand side, click on Response, followed by Name and drag Name to the Values box.
Experiment with the layout and design and you’ll see how easy it is!
Remember, we were allowed to reopen in June and offer training at our premises in Cambridge. And as we respect the fact that people make special arrangements in their personal and professional lives for attending a course, we never cancel classes due to insufficient enrolments. So if you’re lucky you have a one-to-one session. If you prefer to stick to virtual training sessions, let me know and we can cut regular sessions up in short chunks. Or why not book one of our 60-minute webinars?
10 August 2020
Highly respected training company, specialising in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook. Since 2001 we have successfully developed and delivered training courses for public and private clients, large and small, across 23 countries around the world. We feel passionate about sharing the best of what we know with others and strive to help as many people as we can.