Abcam commits to lease a new facility on the Cambridge Biomedical Campus
Abcam plc, a global leader in the supply of life science research tools, announces that it has committed to the lease of a new facility for its global headquarters at the expanding Biomedical Campus in Cambridge, UK, subject to the grant of full planning approval.
- The new 100,000 sq ft. purpose-built facility doubles Cambridge footprint
- Next step in Abcam’s plan to deliver sustainable long-term growth
This purpose-built facility will place Abcam at the heart of an international centre for life science and clinical innovation, increasing collaboration opportunities with scientific opinion leaders and strengthening links with pharmaceutical discovery groups, leading institutions and clinicians.
The new site will allow Abcam to combine its three current facilities in Cambridge into one new state-of-the-art global headquarters and will house the Group’s UK innovation and manufacturing capabilities, laboratories, logistics, sales, marketing and corporate functions and will be the Company’s European distribution hub.
Providing approximately 100,000 sq ft. of office and laboratory space, compared with 57,000 sq ft. currently, the facility will enable Abcam to better serve its consumers’ needs through:
- allowing better interaction between scientists and those responsible for marketing and selling the Company’s products contributing to Abcam retaining its market leading position;
- further establishing Abcam as one of the most innovative and influential providers of reagents and tools for the research and clinical communities;
- enhancing its product development capabilities to allow Abcam to better serve the needs of the global research community;
- increasing capacity and allowing more flexibility in the Company’s distribution model.
The facility is also expected to improve efficiency across all business functions.
Commenting on the new site, Alan Hirzel, Abcam’s Chief Executive Officer, said: “The Cambridge Biomedical Campus is rapidly becoming an influential hub for global life science. We are looking forward to building upon our longstanding relationships with the scientific community and establishing new relationships with other organisations on the site. Bringing the Abcam team together will improve our efficiency and innovation process to the benefit of all of our stakeholders.”
A resolution to grant planning approval was passed unanimously in early August with the construction project planned to begin once full approval is received. Design work has commenced and final estimates and specifications for the project remain subject to the completion of planning processes.
For further information please contact:
+ 44 (0) 1223 696 000
Alan Hirzel, Chief Executive Officer
Gavin Wood, Chief Financial Officer
Julia Wilson - Investor Relations
J.P.Morgan Cazenove - Nominated Advisor & Corporate Broker
+ 44 (0) 20 7742 4000
James Mitford / Christopher Cargill
+ 44 (0) 20 3727 1000
Ben Atwell / Brett Pollard / Natalie Garland-Collins
As an innovator in reagents and tools, Abcam’s purpose is to serve life science researchers globally to achieve their mission, faster.