Local environmental projects could receive boost from Sustainable City grants
Local projects aimed at improving energy efficiency, reducing waste, promoting sustainability and countering the effects of climate change could be in line for funding of up to £10,000 from Cambridge City Council.
Sustainable City grants are now available for voluntary or community groups looking to run environmental projects in Cambridge from April 2018 to March 2019, which will help the council meet its own environmental objectives.
These objectives are set out in the council’s Climate Change Strategy 2016-2021 and include:
- Reducing energy consumption and emissions from homes and businesses in Cambridge;
- Supporting businesses to improve energy efficiency and increase waste reduction;
- Reducing emissions from transport by promoting sustainable transport and encouraging behaviour change;
- Reducing consumption of resources, increasing recycling and reducing waste;
- Supporting residents and businesses of Cambridge to adapt to the impacts of climate change
During 2017-18 Sustainable City Grants are supporting a variety of projects including:
- Events and projects to encourage residents and businesses to reduce food waste;
- Events and energy saving workshops to raise awareness of how residents can improve the energy efficiency of their homes;
- Waste reduction workshops including repair cafes and a festival;
- Increasing the amount of donated furniture and electrical items that are re-used and diverted from landfill;
- Raising awareness of renewable energy and encouraging and increasing recycling at a fair.
Cllr Richard Robertson, Executive Councillor for Finance and Resources, said: “Local, small-scale projects can play a vital part in encouraging people and organisations to reduce their carbon output and make the most of existing resources.
“The council is committed to doing all it can to tackle the effects of climate change through its Climate Change Strategy, but we need the help of residents and local groups to do so.
“If your group is planning a project that will help the environment, I would encourage you to apply for a Sustainable City grant for 2018-19 as soon as you can.”
Groups can apply for grants of up to £10,000, and expressions of interest need to be submitted by 22 January at 5pm.
The district council for Cambridge.