Nokia/China Unicom's live trial of Virtualized Services Router for residential broadband
Nokia and China Unicom are conducting a live trial in China
- Trial of Nokia Virtualized Service Router (VSR) is crucial to China Unicom's initiative to transform its metro service edge architecture to provide enhanced broadband services to residential subscribers
- Upon completion of the project, the network will be able to add new customers and launch services faster and more efficiently
Nokia and China Unicom are conducting a live trial in China Unicom's commercial network using the Nokia Virtualized Services Router (VSR). The trial involves more than 5,000 residential subscribers and allows China Unicom to simplify and accelerate the delivery of residential broadband using a new, agile and flexible network which is based on virtualized network functions (VNFs). The initial trial is being carried out in the province of Shandong and will expand to the other parts of the country over the next two years as it evolves to the next phase, which will include delivery of IPTV services.
China Unicom is adopting Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Network Functions Virtualization (NFV) to enhance efficiency, agility, openness and scaling capabilities to evolve to a cloud-ready network. The successful trial of the industry-proven Nokia VSR will increase operational efficiency and enable faster creation and delivery of new services. The trial uses the Nokia VSR as a next-generation, virtualized Broadband Network Gateway (BNG) for residential subscriber management functions and advanced service capabilities. As part of its initiative to transform its metro service edge, China Unicom plans to migrate massive BNG services to the virtualized platform to leverage the opportunities of the cloud era.
Sri Reddy, head of IP Routing and Packet Core business at Nokia, said: "We are proud to be a part of China Unicom's initiative to evolve its metro edge to a cloud-centric architecture. The Nokia VSR provides delivery of broad and rich virtualized IP edge applications with superior performance and enhanced scalability. Upon completion of this network transformation project, China Unicom will ensure increased operational efficiency and deliver a superior customer experience for its subscribers."
Overview of the solution used for trial:
- Nokia field-proven VSR delivers high performance and flexibility for x86 server environments. The vBNG functionality on Nokia VSR is based on Nokia Service Router Operating System (SR OS).
- Nokia VSR delivers rich BNG service functions which enhance the end-user experience, and high throughput, which is two-to-four times more than the industry average.
- In addition to BNG functions, the Nokia VSR is used to deliver additional functions, such as Network Address Translation (NAT) - to facilitate the migration to IPv6
Did you know?
- Nokia's virtualized portfolio was analyzed by the European Advanced Networking Test Center (EANTC), an international group known for vendor-neutral network performance testing. The results showed that Nokia continues to lead in Network Functions Virtualization (NFV), setting a new industry benchmark for outstanding performance, scalability and resiliency.