PA Consulting Group, the leading international management, systems and technology consultancy, has helped Quintel Technology Ltd to launch an innovative dual-tilt base station antenna system.
PA Consulting speeds time-to-market for wireless dual-tilt base station antenna system
PA Consulting Group speeds time-to-market for wireless dual-tilt base station antenna system through the fast track development of RF Receive PCB
PA Consulting Group, the leading international management, systems and technology consultancy, has helped Quintel Technology Ltd to launch an innovative dual-tilt base station antenna system. PA accelerated the development process by completing design, prototyping, and testing of the RF Receive PCB and mechanical control assembly associated with the antenna system in less than six months.
Independent variable downtilt control per Radio Access Technology
The cellular industry has accepted that Remote Electrical Tilt (RET) provides a powerful way of optimising performance by adapting the radiated antenna patterns of a network of sites to maximise traffic, coverage, and minimize interference. The Antenna Interface Standards Group (AISG) control protocol permits remote control of antenna tilt in the field without on-site intervention, and Quintel devised a novel way to support multiple different radio access technologies which are in the same spectrum band but require different tilt optimisation requirements (e.g. GSM1900 and UMTS1900), via a conventionally sized antenna panel solution, and the re-use of existing rigged feeder cables at site.
Use of proven, fast-track PA methods
As part of the overall product, Quintel asked PA to help with the design and development of the Quintel antenna system’s RF Receive PCB. PA engineers worked from Quintel’s initial specification to design a PCB which was prototyped, tested and deployed in field trials in less than six months.
PA methods included:
• System level design and analysis, in parallel with component cost analysis and software/hardware architectural design.
• ‘Connect and Go’ rapid RF prototyping to quickly evaluate the capabilities of key components and to remove risk prior to PCB layout.
• ‘Extreme Programming’ – a set of techniques for progressively developing embedded
software while concurrently engineering the hardware platform.
• Fast turn-around PCB design and fabrication, leading to early production grade prototypes
suitable for field trials.
• Thermal cycling and mechanical testing to prove the durability of the design.
• Joint team working, with the PA team and Quintel’s staff working on-site to rapidly address test and validation issues.
PA’s multidisciplinary design team – an instant design facility for Quintel - worked to a demanding specification:
• access to key technical resources
• fast results in electronic, mechanical and software issues
• a wide range of test and fabrication capabilities
• system level integration, and test facilities
• to deliver working product to a challenging timescale – just one example of PA’s ability to accelerate base station technology development
• concept-through-to-product allowing fast realization of technical trade-off and design decisions, while focusing on delivery timescales.
Lindsey R Ager, COO, Quintel Technology Ltd comments: ‘PA’s approach to this development enabled us to deliver customer trials against challenging timescales. Their active project management and effective development methodologies helped to make sure the project stayed on track and delivered the performance we needed.’
Through its wireless technology expertise PA Consulting Group provides end -to -end solutions for the wireless industry. PA’s technology-enabled consultancy solutions for 3G operators range from strategy development and business planning through to services creation, network design and roll-out management. Vendors benefit directly through PA’s services in the design of infrastructure and handset products, marketing and bidding support.
About PA Consulting Group
At PA Consulting Group, we transform the performance of organisations.
We put together teams from many disciplines and backgrounds to tackle the most complex problems facing our clients, working with leaders and their staff to turn around organisations in the private and public sectors. Clients call on us when they want:
an innovative solution: counter-intuitive thinking and groundbreaking solutions
a highly responsive approach: we listen, and then we act decisively and quickly
delivery of hard results: we get the job done, often trouble-shooting where previous initiatives have failed.
We are an independent, employee-owned, global firm of 3,000 talented individuals, operating from offices across the world, in Europe, North America, Latin America, Asia, and Oceania. We have won numerous awards for delivering complex and highly innovative assignments, run one of the most successful venture programmes in our industry, have technology development capability that few firms can match, deep expertise across key industries and government, and a unique breadth of skills from strategy to IT to HR to applied technology.
• defence • energy • financial services • government and public services • international development • life sciences and healthcare • manufacturing • postal services • retail • telecommunications • transportation
• strategic management • innovation and technology • IT • operational improvement • human resources • complex programme delivery
Delivering business transformation
About Quintel Technology
Quintel is a developer of innovative antenna management and site sharing solutions. www.quintel.co.uk
For more information please contact:
Steve Crammond +44(0)1763 267328 e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Beverley Adams +44 (0)1763 285260 e-mail: email@example.com
Or visit www.paconsulting.com/wireless
PA Consulting Group's technology centers:
Cambridge Technology Centre, Melbourn, Herts, United Kingdom, SG8 6DP Tel +44 (0)1763 267492
Princeton Technology Center, 600 College Road East, Suite 1120 Princeton, NJ 08540, USA New Jersey Tel: +1 609 806 0800
PA Consulting Group is an innovation and transformation consultancy. We believe in the power of ingenuity to build a positive human future in a technology-driven world. Our Global Innovation and Technology Centre houses over 250 class-leading scientists, engineers and technologists. Our technology and product development capabilities range from front-end applied science, concept creation and design, to hands-on product engineering, system integration, scale-up and manufacture.