The UK Research and Innovation Future Leaders Fellowships (FLF) will grow the strong supply of talented individuals needed to ensure that UK research and innovation continues to be world class. The Future Leaders Fellowship can help fund your most talented innovators.
Up to £1.2m funding for employee-led innovation is available now
- develop the leadership potential of an existing employee through a challenging innovation or research project
- access funding (up to £1.2m over four years) to cover salaries and critical operational costs, with your contribution being as low as 30% of the total cost (dependent on size of business).
This cross-UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) scheme will support early career researchers and innovators with outstanding potential in universities, UK registered businesses, and other research and user environments including research councils' institutes and laboratories.
The FLF scheme welcomes applications from both UK and international applicants and individuals should use the person specification to assess and justify their suitability for the scheme. The support of the institution will be a critical component of all fellowships which will enable the fellow to transition to or establish their research/innovation independence in any area supported by UKRI.
The objectives of the scheme are:
- to develop, retain, attract and sustain research and innovation talent in the UK
- to foster new research and innovation career paths including those at the academic/business and interdisciplinary boundaries, and facilitate movement of people between sectors
- to provide sustained funding and resources for the best early career researchers and innovators
- to provide long-term, flexible funding to tackle difficult and novel challenges, and support adventurous, ambitious programmes.
These Fellowships support applicants from diverse career paths, including those returning from a career break or following time in other roles. We also encourage applications from those wishing to work part-time in order to combine the fellowship with personal responsibilities. Review panels will take into account time spent outside an active research or innovation environment, whether through career breaks, flexible working or as a consequence of working in other roles.
Length of support
The support offered will be long-term and flexible and will provide comprehensive package of support, including the fellow's salary and justified research, staff and training costs, with seven years of support available on a 4+3 model, with a review in year four. The case for support should make clear the long-term aims of the programme, and why they matter – while providing more specific plans and costings for the first four years.
For business applicants, those in the user community or other applicants, four years' support may be sufficient and there is no need to apply for a further three years of funding if this is not required. Successful applicants will have the intellectual and financial freedom to develop and change direction over this period.
Register your interest to receive further information on this scheme
Expressions of interest for the programme’s third wave of investment must be submitted by 2nd May 2019.
At this stage, all you need to do is register your interest. Registration is simple and only takes a few minutes.
Once your registration of interest is received, we can provide further information on how the Future Leaders Fellowship scheme can help fund your innovation talent. Register here.
Only registered businesses will receive further information.
Our process requires registration to receive further information and bid writing support, so it is important that you register your interest here.
Any questions before you register your interest?
If you have any questions please call our team 01793 416409 or email us at Fellows@UKRI.org