Use your scientific, technical or management expertise to work as an independent consultant
Join ChemPharmaServe on 30 April or 21 May and learn about developing your career as an independent consultant. This one day course offers prospective consultants with all they need to know about setting up and running a successful consultancy business.
Course: Independent Consultancy: A Step by Step Guide
Dates: Monday 30 April 2018 or 21 May 2018
Venue: Girton College, Huntingdon Road, Cambridge CB3 0JG
Spending one’s career as an employee of various companies at any level enables individuals to build on their formal academic education, deepen their knowledge and skills in their field and widen their expertise in new subjects. Typically, moving up the career ladder is achieved by focusing on the job while leaving other tasks and duties to be taken care of by the employer’s admin system. Hence, it is not uncommon for middle or high ranking employees of companies to be totally unfamiliar with how the business is run every day. Normally, this lack of familiarity with routine business operation does not pose a problem unless and until people decide to set up their own business to work for themselves, perhaps as consultants.
This course is comprehensive and structured but is focused on providing all the information you need to start your new enterprise with eyes fully open. It also provides guidance on a diverse range of subjects that you need to get to grips with when you begin offering services to clients as a business entity.
This one-day course provides step-by-step training for people who have extensive scientific or technical background and have worked in industry, the public sector or academia before and now wish to set up an independent consultancy business to work for themselves.
The contents are relevant to all people with expertise in scientific, engineering, technical or management fields.
This course is accredited and is approved by the Royal Society of Chemistry for Continuing Professional Development (CPD).
Key subjects that will be covered include:
- Pros and cons of working independently to enable the trainees to make an assessment of their needs and expectations, and what they can realistically achieve.
- Constructing a vision of the business, conducting market research and developing a business plan.
- Detailed discussion about various business entities and key features of operating as a sole trader, limited company or partnership
- Avoiding costly mistakes before setting up the business
- Company registration with Companies House and Director’s legal responsibilities
- Bookkeeping, accountancy needs and basic concepts
- Setting up a website, business email, phone lines and IT needs
- Marketing the business and finding work
- Consultancy compensation model, contracts and fees
- Consultants’ business ethics
- Building and maintaining business reputation
- Client satisfaction and maintaining trust
- Continuous professional development (CPD)
- Networking and support for consultants
The interactive course also provides a range of examples, handy templates and information sheets to help the trainees to set up their business quickly.
Attendees need to have considerable experience in their field and be confident that they can offer consultancy services to prospective clients.
For more information and to book your place, please contact Dr. Hooshang S. Zavareh:-
Tel: 01954 252789
To read more information, click here.
We support life science organisations by solving their research and development problems.